Chapter 20: The Sloth Ring

"Alright red hotness, ready to steal a child." Blitzo spoke in an almost excited tone, worrying Alastor. Luckily for them, it appeared to be late in the Sloth Realm, and there were very few demons on the streets. Maybe they could do this unnoticed.

"Please refrain from calling me that name." Normally, Alastor would have been a little more hostile about being called such a name, but this demon was his escort, and he doubted he could navigate the unfamiliar realm alone.

"Whatever bean pole, let's make this quick. Place is just over there." Blitzo loaded his prized flint lock pistol and began leading the deer to the orphanage.

Blitzo was true to his word. They only had to go down the street and around the corner. Alastor had a few fleeting fears that a passing demon would see them, but all of the demons here didn't seem to notice. In fact, the few he saw looked sluggish, and dazed, as if they'd just woken from a long nap. Well, maybe that's just how demons from this ring were.

Even when a demon or two turned in their direction, the Radio Demon would melt into the shadows before he could be spotted. He wouldn't take any risk that someone here might recognize him. All Alastor cared about was getting the child Angel Dust longed for so dearly.

"Okay deer boy, we're here. Let's get you that kid and get the fuck out of here." The imp lead Alastor around the back of a very small, old building. If Alastor hadn't noticed the sign in the window claiming to be an orphanage, he might have thought the place was condemned.

"Through here." Blitzo had lead Alastor to a back door, which he opened without any trouble. How he knew this door was there was a mystery for the Radio Demon, but he couldn't be bothered to care at the moment.

The duo slipped inside, suddenly in a room with cradles and small beds all over the place. There was a female imp snoozing in a chair, and all of the children appeared to be sleeping as well. Quiet not to disturb anyone, Alastor began surveying for who he should take with him.

"Hurry the fuck up, before we get get caught!" Blitzo whisper yelled, pointing the end of his loaded flintlock at the female imp.

Alastor rolled his eyes, tempted to take even longer just out of spite. It was hard to figure out which of the young ones was suitable, as they were all asleep, or so Alastor thought.

"Deer?" A little voice pipped up from a little bared bed behind him. Alastor turned, afraid he'd frighten the child and make it scream, as most children did when they saw him, but it didn't happen. After a moment, when the radio host was sure the child in the crib wasn't frightened, he took a moment to look at them.

It was a little imp girl, who looked barely two years old. She stood up in her bed, grabbing onto the bars. Her skin was mostly the a light maroon color, but there was a small white patch over her right eye, and another on her left cheek. Two red horns with black tips poked out from under her blue-black hair, which ended at the middle of her back. The toddler wore a dark grey dress that ended at her knees, and no shoes. Her eyes were two different colors, her left one silver, and the other gold.

All in all, this child was beautiful, and from the way she stared at Alastor, fearless. Her innocent eyes shined up at the feared radio host, and she suddenly smiled at him. She thrusted her arms up and grabbed at air with her hands. Obviously she wanted him to pick her up.

"Deer!" She spoke just a little louder now, and giggled. To keep her quiet, Alastor quickly swept her into his arms. As soon as her small arms wrapped his neck in a gentle hug, Alastor felt something spark within him, a feeling of...protectiveness.

"Why hello there," The deer whispered to the child as her eyes met his again, "would you like to come live with me? Do you want me to take you out of here?"

"Deer home." The girl nodded and spoke seriously. Her intelligence surprised Alastor.

"Alright then, deer home it is." He quickly shuffled back to Blitzo, who closed the door behind the deer when he made it out.

Once outside, Alastor had Blitzo take the child for a moment, much to both of their disliking. The gentlemanly deer took off his coat, then took the toddler back, wrapping her in it to keep her hidden and warm. Once back in the arms of the radio host, the girl let out a yawn and snuggled into his shoulder, soon falling asleep.

"Yeah Stolas, we're ready to come back now." Blitzo had gotten on the phone as soon as he didn't have the baby in his hands.

Not to seconds after the imp hung up, a portal appeared in front of them. Careful to make sure no one saw them, they stepped through. It was time for Alas to take his new daughter home.

------

"Oh how wonderful, everyone's okay!" Stolas cheered after closing the portal. He began fawning over the little girl Alastor held, careful not to wake her up.

"Oh I remember when Octavia used to be that small~" Stolas drifted into a day dream before Alastor said something to snap him back into attention.

"So what must I do to repay you, Stolas? You helped me get my lover a child, now I must return my end of the deal." Expecting to be told to kill someone, or destroy a something, Alastor was genuinely surprised when the owl took him by the shoulder, and began speaking in a kind, thoughtful voice tinged with longing.

"Alastor, you were willing to risk your life to make Mr. Dust happy. I can see that you love him dearly, and would do whatever he needed start the drop of a hat. I myself feel that way about someone, but I only whish I had the courage to do anything for then that amounted to a fraction if what you've done to keep Mr. Dust happy." Stolas let go of Alastor's shoulder, but still continued talking.

"Plus, I myself am the father of a beautiful daughter. I can reassure you that even though parenting can be very hard sometimes, it is a choice you won't regret. Getting to watch your child grow, that's one of the greatest things the world can give you, Alastor." Stolas finished his speech by smiling gently start the deer before him. He didn't notice the imp behind him, who stared at the owl with a stunned, almost hopeful expression.

"Thank you, Stolas." Alastor managed to speak after a few very long moments of uncomfortable silence.

"Your welcome, now go get back to your boyfriend! You need to show him the toddler!" Stolas suddenly shooed the deer out of the door, giving him cheers and comforts until Alastor was sour if the front door.

As soon as he heard it close, Blitzo turned to Stolas and said, "You're wife's pretty lucky you feel like that about her." Blitzo tried to okay it cool and act like he didn't care, but he was failing miserably.

"Blitzy, I wasn't talking about my wife, I was talking about you." The two stared at each other for a moment. Blitzo suddenly realized he was staring, then cleared his throat.

"We gonna fuck or what?"