Chapter 19

Various instruments and wiry things were prodding and touching me everywhere, all having a different purpose and use to figure out what was happening in my body. 

The familiar doctor from a while back, Mark, had come over to check on me as promised by Alaric. We all walked into a room down the far corridor of Alaric's home, entering a makeshift doctors office with all the equipment Mark would ever need.

I laid down on the thin white bed with my eyes facing the ceiling, with Alaric sat right beside me, holding my right hand in his and rubbing his thumb over my palm, keeping my mind grounded and relaxed.

"Okay Luna, so after checking over your abdomen, it appears that your ribs are healing correctly and the bruising should be gone completely in a week or so," Mark concluded, looking down at me with a reassuring, friendly smile that made me feel at ease, knowing that a familiar face will be taking care of me.

"While your ribs and bruises will heal, your throat and voice are showing little to no healing progress, judging by the exercises you performed for me and the crackling in your voice, I highly doubt you will ever get your voice back. In all my years of being a doctor, I have never witnessed nor came across the amount of trauma that has damaged your voice; It's truly saddening. I am very sorry, Willow." Mark murmured sadly down at me, looking genuinely apologetic at my insufficient healing.

I knew this was coming. Deep down in my heart, I knew I would never regain my voice, I used to scream in agony nearly every day for eighteen years, strangled and handled violently for so long.

I knew escaping that house I lost more than just my remaining family; I lost a sense of myself.

The only indication that my voice ever existed is observing the cracked walls in my old home, witnessing the damage my voice has done.

I never gave myself hope for regaining my voice, knowing it was a long shot to begin with. But hearing Mark actually say the words, made me feel devastated and morning my lost voice.

I could never properly tell Alaric I loved him.

Never be able to fend for myself.

Never be able to sing again nor sing lullabies for my future children.

I could never do any of those things, and that's what pains me the most, missing out on such beautiful things that only my voice can achieve.

I looked to my right to see Alaric's face in my hand, his grip upon me had tightened and his body shaking with heavy emotions coursing through him.

I felt his pain so easily; it matched mine precisely. Having the same thoughts running through our heads, only Alaric conveyed his emotions a lot clearer at the moment, I bottled all my feelings up, trying to remain strong for the pair of us.

"I don't believe it," Alaric mumbled on my arm, shaking with what I believed to be anger and despair, not wanting to face the truth, the cold honest truth.

I closed my eyes shut for a moment and swallowed my grief, opening my eyes up again and keeping a small smile on my face, needing to get through this without having a breakdown, not wanting Mark or Alaric to witness that.

"I'm sorry Alpha and Luna, its a hard revelation to process. I can honestly say there's about a ten per cent chance of Luna regaining some strength in her voice, but its unlikely and will take time to heal and mend." Mark said quietly, appearing to be taking the news hard as well.

I didn't want to kick up a fuss about this. What's died is dead, end of discussion.

I can't dwell on this nor bring my voice back to life. No amount of money or powerful connections will ever bring that part of me back, its dead, alike other parts of my heart, unmendable and diminished into nothing.