Chapter 17

Time seemed to stop where we were in the little clearing, the stars were still shining bright in the vast black sky, the trees swayed in the breeze, and I was still caged in Alaric's arms, never breaking away from each other for a second. 

Neither had the heart to move or interrupt the moment, just relaxing in each other's hold and gazing up at the moonlight, cast down on our tangled bodies.

Not ruining the moment but wanting to try something out, I asked a question in my mind, testing to see if Alaric would pick it up.

"So that wolf in my hospital room, it was you wasn't it?" I asked, looking up from his chest to check his reaction, and by the smirk tugging at his lip, he heard it loud and clear.

"Yes, it was me angel." Alaric chuckled, kissing my head.

I thought about that moment in the hospital, the way Alaric got angry at those doctors, his argument with that male doctor with the clipboard. Then the shaking started, and a furry black wolf randomly hovered next to my bed. Looking back at that memory makes me want to laugh at how bizarre the whole thing was; obviously, I was terrified at the time, but now I know it was just Alaric, I feel much better about the entire situation.

"Was it because of those doctors that made you turn into your wolf?" I asked in my head, enjoying this form of communication we have. It's very advanced and secretive, we could be talking dirty things for all anyone knows.

"That fu- stupid doctor kept coming on to you and throwing stuff in your face to sign, which was annoying me to no end. Then this woman had the audacity to make you get up, and she would shower you when she had met you for two seconds. I simply wouldn't allow any of that to happen and they kept pushing. It sent me over the edge, and my wolf couldn't hold back anymore, not when you're being told what to do by another person like that, it doesn't sit well with my wolf and me." Alaric said, rubbing circles on my shoulder and back, burying his face in my neck and tickling my skin.

Alaric seemed genuinely angry at the memory, portraying the scene like it happened yesterday. I knew Alaric was possessive and dominant, but I am starting to realise how far those traits go. I didn't mind his possessiveness one bit, if anything I love it. The feeling of someone always looking out for what's best for you and protecting you, it's what I've always wanted.

"Alaric," I whispered in my mind, feeling a little apprehensive for what I'm about to ask next, even though I'm in safe hands.

Alaric looked down and waited for me, looking absolutely breathtaking in the moonlight.

"Can I meet your wolf again?" I whispered, worried if I would offend him by asking that. I'm still so new with everything going on, and I don't want to overstep any boundaries, so I was treading carefully.

"My wolf would love to see you again, angel. He's been dying to shift for a while now, so it would give me a break from his constant nagging. He says he wants to run you back home, but not in his mouth like your last trip with a wolf, you'll be on his back, it will be much comfier for you, he says. He also doesn't like you out this late and is yelling at me for it right now." Alaric said with a grimace, rubbing his forehead as if he had a headache.

I had a mixture of emotions bubbling up inside me. I was a tad bit nervous but mostly excited. Thrilled to meet his beautiful wolf again and feel his fur through my fingertips, already knowing how soft it will be.

I nodded my head enthusiastically and sat up ready to go, excitement glowing in my eyes. Alaric held me tight and lifted us both up from the ground, shaking the bits of grass that stuck to our legs.

"You ready angel?" Alaric asked seriously, looking a little hesitant and worried.

"He's still a part of you, I'll be fine I promise, I'm in safe paws." I joked, smiling cheekily and practically bobbing up and down in anticipation, excited for the first shift I have ever witnessed.