Chapter 50

November 3rd 2023
-
Marshall's POV

"They saw adhesions in my uterus."

"The adhesions stop me from having any more children."

"Its not something you even want."

"I always wanted another baby."

"Would we have more kids than just Ava? "

"There's a surgery to remove them but it could make me permenantly infertile..."

I've tossed and turned all night, conversations from yesterday and the previous week playing on repeat in my head.

Openly admitting for the first time yesterday about how I'd actually wanted Ava from the start made me realise how much I wasn't opposed to the idea of another baby.

I know its something that Soph really wants and maybe, just maybe if we had another then I'd get the chance to do it right this time. Maybe my fifth child would be the one I'd finally get to be there for, finally get to be the dad I want to be.

I have an album coming out next summer but I can limit the work that surrounds it, or we could wait until after its released and then I could take a break.

Either way, for the past few hours I've been sitting around contemplating all my options here. I want to give Soph the opportunity to be a mom again, I want her to experience everything that she told me she didn't get to experience with Ava yesterday, I want to experience all of that with her.

My mind keeps going back to the adhesions, though I'm still not too sure what it means but Sophia seemed crushed by it. She said there was a surgery but it had its risks and I don't know if she'd be willing to take them.

Deciding I need to talk to her, I make my way to the garden to get Ava, its about time she goes to see her mom anyway.

"AVE?" I call her as I reach the patio door, I can see her on the lawn playing, her back turned to me.

"AVA RAE!" I call again, I know she's heard me as I can see her shoulders moving up and down as she laughs to herself.

I sneak up behind her quietly and scoop her up, holding her upside down and tickling her stomach as her hysterical laughter fills my ears.

"You think you're funny, huh, little lady?" More giggles as tears begin to stream down her cheeks as she squirms, trying to get out of my hold, not realising that if she does she'll land on her head.

"Yeah! Mo-mommy always say-says I am." She manages to say as I flip her the right way up and place her down onto her feet.

"Does she now? Speakin' of mom, you want to go see her?"

"REALLY?" She screams at me, hope filling her eyes.

"Mhm."

"YAYYYYY!" She yells before charging past me into the house. Maybe I should reconsider this whole 'another baby' thing yet again because I swear I can't keep up with this kids energy. She makes Stevie look calm and I thought that kid was fuckin' crazy.

I make my way back into the house before Ava disappears somewhere and I can't find her again for hours. Much to my surprise I find her sitting on the bottom step trying to tie her shoe lace.

"You need some help kiddo?" I ask her as I grab my car keys from the side table, she nods, looking frustrated with herself.

I crouch in front of her and tie them as she watches on intently.

"You got that? Think you could do it?" I question her as I stand up.

"I think so." She replies quietly and I bend down and pull them undone again in one fast movement.

"Good, do it then. I'll be right back, I just need to grab my phone."

"DADDDD!" She drags out, clearly unimpressed by my actions.

___________________________________

As myself and Ava walk hand in hand down the corridor to Sophia's room I spot the nurse, I'm pretty sure her name is Jackie or some shit like that, who I was kinda a dick to the other night.

"Hey Ave, you mind if we go talk to someone right quick before we see mom?"

"You promise it'll be quick? I want see mommy."

"Fast as I can." With that promise she happily walks with me towards Jackie who has her back turned to us.

So as not to startle her I cough as we approach her and she turns, her eyebrows knitting together as she frowns at me before her face softens into a small smile when she see's Ava, then she glances back to me, waiting for me to speak.

"Look, I uh- I'm sorry 'bout the other night. I shouldn't have spoke to you like that, guess my life's just a little hectic right now and you were one of the unfortunate people I took it out on."

"It's fine Marshall, really. I've been treated far worse in this job. Who's this little lady?" She says as she smiles warmly at Ave.

"I'm Ava. Daddy says we get to see mommy, I really missed her." My little girl speaks up before I get the chance to. Wow, a five year old has got more social skills than me.

"Awe, I'm Jackie it's really cool to finally meet you. I've been looking after your mommy and she's told me all about you, she's missed you sooo much too." Jackie says before a doctor calls her from a room down thr corridor. "Sorry, I have to go."

"Thank you for looking after my mommy, bye Jackie." Ave says as she goes to hug her, an action that Jackie welcomes with open arms.

I nod at her, offering her a half smile as she turns and walks off down the corridor.

"You want to go find mom?" I ask Ava as I take ahold of her hand again.

She enthusiastically nods as I walk to Soph's door and push it open.

"Hey Marsh, I didn't think you'd be here today." Soph says as a smile spreads across her face and she pushes herself to sit up more on the bed.

"Well, I need to talk to you and somebody wanted to see her mom." I say as Ava walks in through the door behind me.

"Oh My God!" Soph says, clasping her hand over her mouth as her eyes fill with tears. She hasn't seen Ava in almost three weeks and I'm guessing its the longest they've ever been apart.

"MOMMY!" Ave screams as she charges towards Soph's bed.

"Gentle." I say as she gets closer to Soph.

"AVA! Be gentle please." I ask again as she dives at Soph, I see her wince in pain but she hides it for Ava's sake.

I take a seat at the side of the bed and happily listen to Ava tell her mom everything she's been doing these past few weeks.

This is it, all I ever wanted. This is my family, my happiness.

"Hey Ave, you want to go sit over there for a minute? Put the tv on." I say gesturing towards the couch as my little girl runs over there.

Once the tv is on, hopefully drowning out our conversation so that Ava doesn't hear, Sophia turns to me.

"What was it you wanted to talk about?"

I take hold of ther hand, preparing myself for the conversation we're about to have...

A/N - Sorry, I ended up splitting this chapter as it was going to be wayyy too long but the next chapter will be up tomorrow as its almost finished, so not long to wait.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕