Chapter 42: The Battle of Heaven and Earth

Notes:
Song recommendation for this chapter:
- Call Your Name (Japanese Version) by Samuel Kim

Whew we are coming to the end soon! I'm not gonna lie, this fic was a tough one to write because I'm not a medical student or professional. I've always loved biology when I was a student and wanted to become a doctor at some point, but I chose a different career path that's something business related. Hence I'm living my doctor dream vicariously through this story and I struggled with writing medical scenes as I could only rely on research and articles. If you've read this far, I'm sorry for any medical inaccuracies 😂 Let's just pretend it worked out haha! I did my best with the research I did, but without real medical experience, there's only so much I can write this to its fullest potential 🥺

Chapter 42: The Battle of Heaven and Earth

Odiha Hangar

Back at the hangar, there was the sound of gunshots and ODM gear wires being shot, causing Levi to jump with alarm. When he rushes to the source of the commotion, he finds Floch Forster dead on the ground and three holes on the plane they were about to board.

Fuck. The problems just keep on coming.

"Start welding!" the Azumabitos exclaimed, getting to work on the plane right away.

"Floch.. you clung onto the ship all the way here?" Hange says.

"Sir, your shoulder!" Luca cries out at one of the Azumabito engineer's bleeding shoulder.

"I–I'm fine, the plane!" the engineer grunts.

As soon as the engineer was about to reach for his tools, the ground began shaking with an unmistakable tremor. The Rumbling.. is here. So soon?

Everyone stares into the distance in horror. Reiner runs off to confirm.

"Armin, is there nothing we can do?" Mikasa says solemnly.

"This is all that's left, I'll stay back and hold them off–" Armin says.

"You can't do that! You're the only trump card we have left against Eren!" Reiner argues. "I'll do it–"

"No, you can't do that," Hange stops him. "We can't afford to use up anymore of the Titans' powers. I led you all to this point, killing countless comrades as we go. I will take responsibility for it."

"Hange.." Armin's eyes widened.

"No, we can't let you do that either, Commander," Catarina speaks up, making her presence known by walking up towards Hange.

Everyone's eyes are on Catarina, but she was determined to press onwards.

"You've led us all to this point. That's exactly why we can't let you die here," Catarina states, eyes blazing with bravery. "As the Commander, we all still need you to end the Rumbling. We still need your guidance, your brains. I won't let you give up your life so easily."

"Catarina—"

"As a Military Doctor, I will fulfil the role assigned to me," Catarina salutes. "The day that Section Commander Mario and Y/N selected me and established the Military Doctors division, it has always been clear to me what my role is. We are to ensure the health and well-being of Survey Corps members, and act as your pillars of support. That is exactly what I will do, Commander Hange."

"Catarina, you can't," Hange says worriedly. "You must go with the rest and heal them when they are–"

"Then Luca and Johanne can go," Catarina said. "Let me hold off the Titans, I have trained years for this."

"No, I can't allow you to do that," Luca hisses. "I will go with you."

"Luca, you shouldn't. Section Commander entrusted you with the pills, and.. y-you're her only friend left in the Military Doctors," Catarina pleads. "If you die, she will be devastated. Please, just let me–"