Chapter 41: Not a goodbye

Notes:

Angsty chapter! We are nearing to the end of everything omg. I can't believe I have gone this far with writing Be Kind, thanks so much ya'll for those who have read this far!! <3

Song recommendation for this chapter:
- Crying over you by HONNE, BEKA

Chapter 41: Not a goodbye

You gripped onto the ropes on the Cart Titan's back as she dashed for the boat. Levi has one of your hands in a vice-tight hold as well. He was determined not to let you stray away from his side any longer, now protectively hovering over you and keeping his eyes peeled for stray Jaegerists.

"Fuck, that was really dangerous," Levi hissed. "That Niko guy.. who would've thought he'd try to shoot you."

"I know," you said. "If it weren't for Pieck I would have been dead by now."

"Miss Doctor, you're not hurt are you?" Gabi asked worriedly. "Your face is really pale..."

You swallowed. Any more distressing situations and you're sure you could lose the baby any time.

"I'm fine, Gabi," you lied.

Without warning, you hear the ominous sounds of ODM zipping above you. A Jaegerist!

"Duck down, everyone!" Onyankopon yells.

Luca, determined to protect you and Levi, leaps in an instant and shields you protectively with his body. His other hand holds a gun, aiming it straight at the Jaegerist.

"Hey! They are here—" the Jaegerist takes notice of you and points his own gun at you, but Luca was quicker. Luca pulls his trigger and fires, sending the Jaegerist's body flailing and falling.

"Thanks, man!" Onyankopon pats him hard on the back.

"Fuck, I killed someone," Luca curses, eyes stricken with horror.

"You protected us," you affirm. You knew that feeling all too well. Years ago when you killed Kenny's anti-personnel team in Trost to protect Levi.

"Everyone, take cover," The Cart Titan instructs as she hides behind a corner. You were near the ship but the battle was ravaging nearby.

"No way..." Gabi gasped.

"They've started targeting the ship!" Onyankopon cried out.

Reiner and Annie were going wild out there, but how much longer can they last against all those Jaegerists and their thunder spears?

You glance at Levi, seeking comfort.

"We'll make it," he squeezes his hand tighter around yours.

"Shit, Johanne, Catarina, and the others.. they need help! I will go and assist them, you guys go ahead!" Luca readies his gear and in a second, he zips towards the fray.

"Luca!" you called out.

"I need to fight too! I should be using the Jaw's power," Falco grits his teeth.

"You can't do that," the Cart Titan says. "Your first time as a Titan never goes well."

"But at this rate!" Falco argues. You've seen Armin's first transformation as the Colossal Titan, and it indeed did not go well. Armin's body was fatigued for days and he suffered muscle pains. You don't know what the Jaw Titan's transformation will be like, but you don't like the idea of Falco, a kid, transforming.

"Leave it to me," the Cart Titan said. "After I take you guys to the ship, I will join the battle."

It was useless, because Falco is already jumping off the Cart Titan and heading to the fray. Your eyes widen. Has he gone mad?