Chapter 36: The Outside World

Song recommendation for this chapter:
- Carribbean Blue (Enya) Relaxing Instrumental Music https://youtu.be/m9mRuleTur8

Chapter 36 - The Outside World

You could tell something big was going to happen soon. Tensions in the Survey Corps were high ever since news of Hizuru's visit had arisen.

"Well, more like Zeke's conditions actually, since Lady Azumabito was just the messenger," Luca continued. The mention of Zeke Jaeger's name brought you distress and fury. The Beast Titan was the one that cost the Survey Corps nearly 200 in Shiganshina, as well as the lives of your Commander and best friend, Mario. It was insulting to even hear about a possible cooperation with a fiend like him.

"What were Zeke's conditions?" you asked, swallowing your anger. Hange and Levi had gone off with the squad to an important meeting with the leaders of an ally nation called Hizuru. You had not attended the meeting as Military Doctors were not needed to be involved in external meetings, but you were closely updated on recent developments through various resources. Usually, information would be officially disseminated from Commander Hange to the Section Commanders and Squad Leaders, or you would hear it from Levi or your members.

"First, a test run of the rumbling, a small-scale release of the Colossal Titans within the Walls. Second, Hizuru's cooperation and the strengthening of our military. Third, which Eren rejected, the Founding Titan and a Titan with royal blood must be passed down," Luca explained.

"Wait, that means..."

"Yes, Zeke must pass on the Beast Titan to Queen Historia, the only person with royal blood within the Walls, and she must bear as many kids as possible."

"Eren would never agree to that," you said, feeling your stomach drop at hearing the conditions listed. "It's also unfair to Historia. To live a life just to breed inheritors, it's..."

"Yes, it's grotesque. It seems like we're cutting off the deal with Hizuru. I heard they're money grubbers anyway," Luca sighed, sitting down in one of the couches in your office.

"Then, what will happen to us?" you say almost quietly. Options to keep Paradis safe are thinning and the Survey Corps needs to act fast.

"I don't know what is happening anymore," Luca crosses his arms, worried and perturbed. "I thought I enlisted to fight Titans, only to find out the entire world is our enemy all along. Say... we'll have to fight the Marleyans one day right?"

"If it comes down to it, we must remember our role as Military Doctors," you asserted. You hear Erwin's words ringing in your mind, from way back then during battle with Rod Reiss. "We're doctors first, and soldiers second. Our priority will always be saving our comrades. Just focus on our role, and let the Survey Corps and other regiments do theirs."

Though the words were not outrightly spoken, you and Luca understood what each other meant. As doctors, it was against your fundamental values to kill and take away the life of another human being. Physicians and doctors enter this profession with compassion and a love for humanity, the primary fuel for your mission.

Though Levi had assured you many times that the people you killed in Trost were out of self-defense, it didn't stop the nightmares and guilt from haunting you. You don't wish to ever have to be the one ending a person's life by a gun or sword again, and focus on your role as a battlefield medic. Killing people should not have to be your main objective, and you don't plan for it to be.

A few days later, Hange comes to tell you of some surprising plans. She had proposed for the Scouts to go see Marley for themselves, and the reconnaissance plan was approved by the higher-ups.