Chapter 14: Missing

Chapter 14 - Missing

The next morning, the Survey Corps HQ seems quieter than usual. Many had left to investigate the Walls, so it was mostly just you, the new recruits, and some other Scout members.

"Catarina, sort these files for me please. I need them for my meeting tonight with Commander Erwin," you said and passed on some files to the doe-eyed recruit. "Oh, and leave the door open, it's so stuffy in here."

"Yes, ma'am!" the ginger-haired woman exclaimed and left your office door open. You sigh and slump down on your desk. The HQ is eerily quiet today. As you continue to sign some papers, you suddenly notice a presence by your door. Your eyes wide and you look up, and you met eyes with an unfamiliar-looking person.

"Can I help you?" you raise a brow and stare at the black-haired man at your door, he's tall and dressed in a white doctor's coat.

"Yes, you can," said the man as he started walking into your office.

"I don't believe I gave you permission to enter," you said, your sour mood worsening. "Stay where you are."

"Your door is wide open though," he shrugged, walking closer to your desk.

Alarmed, you stand up. "State your business."

Suddenly, the man takes out a badge showing his identification. Kepler Hirschl, Military Police Brigade. "I'm here to arrest you."

A Military Police member dressed in a doctor's uniform? What the hell is going on?

You scan his face and reread his name on the badge, when suddenly a lightbulb goes off in your head. No wonder you had a feeling you had seen him before. You recognize him as the mysterious doctor that tended to you after your first expedition — the doctor with no name tag. So he wasn't a doctor after all, but a member of the Military Police brigade?

"Arrest me for what, MP?" you raise a brow, unconvinced. "You can't just walk in here and arrest people without a proper warrant."

"Oh, I do have one," he smirks and flashes a paper in your face. "Section Commander of the Survey Corps Military Doctors, you are under arrest for illegal medical practice in the Underground."

"Illegal what—" you're not even able to finish your sentence because Kepler was swift to pin your hands to your back, handcuffing you. "Get your hands off me!"

"I can't do that, I was ordered to take you to our headquarters in Wall Sina," he holds your hands in place.

"Ordered by who? You know, you could be arrested for trespassing and impersonation, doctor," you growl. "And two counts at that. Don't think I forgot about you lurking around our medical ward last time."

"Sharp memory. I didn't expect you to remember me given how high you were on morphine," he smirks. "But you don't have evidence anyway."

"And you're saying you have evidence for my arrest?"

"Oh, we do," he hummed and started dragging you out of the office. Wait, we?

"I'm not going anywhere with a sketchy scumbag like you," you hissed. "You could be a con man for all I know."

"Ugh, if only you had been more compliant," Kepler growled, losing patience. Suddenly, you feel a strong arm grip around your body and a napkin presses to your face. You struggle and scream, but eventually your vision starts spotting with black dots. Shit, chloroform. The last thing you remember was your own body going limp as you were laid down on the floor, Kepler taking off your handcuffs, and him carrying you out the door.

Down the hallways of the HQ, an innocent recruit had caught sight of Kepler carrying an unconscious you, bridal-style. Kepler froze at the sight of the male recruit.