Chapter 40: Fugitive

"Seems you've had a nice game, I've got someone on their way for a match now, mind if take this table?"
The words run off her lips ever so smoothly as she makes her way over to where Jet once was.

You nod gently, unsure of your next words but begin setting up the pieces for a new game. Your jaw clenches and your fingers grow sweaty, causing you to drop one of the pieces on the ground. As you bend to reach for it, you take advantage of the moment closer to Red and say

"I know you know who I am... I'm a friend of Gwen's."
You snap back up and quickly resume placing the pieces on the board.

You instantly regret your choice of words, but you're not Erwin, or Noah. Things don't just easily come to you.
You shyly glance up towards Red who's expression isn't giving much away.

"The last time I saw her, she gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. Please, if theres any way you could connect her to me—"

"Why the hell would you think I know who you are? What are ya supposed to be famous or something?"
She scoffs in her seat, casually rearranging the board

Your knee bounces beneath as you glance from side to side, your nerves surface
"It's just that I saw you with her father last time I was here. I've know her for a long time, I—"

"Well then I reckon you ask him, but my guest is here darlin, I'm gunna need that seat."
Her stern eyes dart from you over the man entering the door, greeted by his peers.

You clench your jaw as your hands ball into fists beneath the table. You didn't come all this way to leave without finding her. It's a big city and Red is the only lead that you've got.

"Listen. I have information she needs, if you know what's good for the both of you, you'll tell me where she is."

She slaps her hands down on the table and leans close into your face. No one notices in the busy establishment, but your world goes quiet.

"One thing you're not going to do, is threaten me. I don't care who the hell you are, now get outta my face for' I knock some sense into ya."
She leans back into her chair as Jet makes his way back to your table, introducing you to the man Red is going to play next, completely oblivious to tension between you two.

You follow Jet and walk with him to the bar, spacing out entirely as he speaks to you. At least you have one person here that you're friendly with, although it's important that you don't trust him entirely, at least not yet.
That pit in your stomach returns, you've made no progress and the weight of the mission intensifies. How the hell are you supposed to find your friend in such a busy area?

"I'm heading out for a smoke, care to join me?" Jet asks, his eyes gleaming with anticipation as he admires the allure of your pout.
His accent sounds a bit deeper now that you're away from all the noise, it's rather charming, it suits him.

You give a nod and trail behind him towards the door, where a group of men are gathered, indulging in cigarettes and laughter. Scanning the faces in the crowd, your gaze lands on a pair of familiar eyes that lock with yours.

Swiftly excusing yourself from Jet's company, you approach Bucky, who is engrossed in conversation with the other men. Without a clear plan in mind, you seize the moment to speak up, determined not to let your courage slip away.

With a deep breath, you address him.
"Bucky. A word?"

His eyes soften at the sight of you, it's almost as if he's been expecting you now. Your voice was steady, yet vulnerable as you motion for him to step aside. Those around him eye you warily and to their surprise, he excused himself to speak with you privately.