Chapter 3

Stephanie

It doesn’t take me long to pack up my belongings with the help of the removalists that Linc sent over. So much so that by Friday, everything is now in storage or at Lincoln’s place. Or our place? I’m not sure what to do yet. My landlord was happy I was leaving because they already had people lined up who were willing to pay the extra rent, so yay for them, I guess. Linc has been super accommodating of my needs so far, and it’s been really good. Tonight, we are having dinner together, and tomorrow evening, he will accompany me to the art opening as my first favour of the week.

As I walk into his...our place... I will get used to saying that one day. I will. I just feel like a glass of wine after the day I’ve had, honestly. Shocker, I know, because I barely drink, but I feel like I need it. Linc won’t be home for another hour or so, and I’m going to make use of the alone time. I pour a glass of opened red wine that I find in the fridge and walk to my room, sipping as I go. I know they say that only whites should be refrigerated, but I hate warm wine. I throw down my hand bag and place the glass on the side table before taking off all my clothes.

I gulp down the wine and start the shower. It’s a pity I don’t have a bath in my ensuite. It’s only in the master bathroom. Oh well, one day. I wash myself slowly, enjoying the warm spray washing away the days grime. I swear if I had to kiss one more client’s arse today, I would have hurled. Like kamikaze, projectile vomited. Some days are harder than others, and some clients are complete butt holes. Yup...butt holes. But thankfully, those clients are usually few and far between. It’s just been a particularly long week, you know, with the fake engagement and all. Fudge my life.

After the shower, I dry myself and put on a comfy wrap dress. Linc and I are ordering takeout and having a sit down to plan our course of action or attack really. Yeah! Attack against the nose scrunching Steph hater! Woohoo! Is my sarcasm on point? I feel like it is. Grabbing the empty wine glass, I return to the kitchen and rinse it out and put it in the dish washer. I know Linc has a cleaning lady that comes in the mornings, but truthfully, I’m used to picking up after myself, so it’s automatic. I’m browsing through the take out menus when I hear the front door open. Linc smiles when he sees me and quickly joins me in the kitchen.

“Hello Princess. Did you find something you fancy?”

I quirk my eyebrow. “Yeah...” I bite my lip coyly, and his eyebrows shoot up. “For dinner...” I laugh at the huff that escapes him, and I giggle with glee. “Seriously Linc, I’m not like all the other women. I’m immune to your charms.”

“We will see about that!” He bops me on the nose, and I shake my head.
Ignoring him, I flutter the menus in front of me. “I couldn’t decide between good old pizza or whether I wanted some Chinese food.”

“Hmmm... If it were me, I would vote pizza.”

“Pizza for the win then. Mega meat lovers for you?”

“Hell yeah! Best future fake wife ever. Chicken wings?”

“Sure. That sounds good. I’ll order now while you grab a shower.”

“Thanks Steph!”

“No problem, fake hubby!”

Lincoln chuckles as he walks away, and I smile. I love that we haven’t changed our banter even though our life is about to get crazy. Already this week, I have fielded call after call from reporters, and I know he has been dodging his mother as best he can. That train wreck waiting to happen will have to be dealt with sooner or later. Saying that, I know it will be sooner rather than later.

I place our order and get myself super supreme and some garlic bread, too, because comfort food rocks and we need it. Big time! Lincoln makes his way back out in just a pair of low-slung sweat pants, and I do a double take when I see him walking towards me.