22.

My hands won't stop trembling

It's been three days. Three fucking days, and she hasn't passed by anymore.

I can't stop thinking about it. I can't eat, can't drink, can't sleep. I went to the office three days ago, to distract myself, but all I could do was stare in front of me.

So, now I'm home all the time. Sitting on the couch and anxiously watching the front door, hoping Scarlett will hop through it, smiling.

But that doesn't happen. Hasn't happened for three days.

How did this happen? I got mad at Jordan. He kept asking questions about something, and I just didn't want to talk about it. I got a little too mad, and he called Dante to keep me under control.

So when I hear someone behind me, I assumed it was Dante... and not my little Scarlett. I can't get the images out of my head. How she fell down. How she started to sob. How she looked into my eyes, as if waiting for an explanation.

But I couldn't move. I was stiff with shock. And worse, I broke my promise to her. My promise that she'll always be safe with us, with me. And now...

Tears roll down again. She looked so broken.... and I caused that.

"Elijah?"

I did that to her, and she seemed completely crushed by it.

"Elijah."

I can't stop thinking of it. How did I allow this to happen?

"Elijah!"

I break out of my trance and look up, seeing Jordan. I sigh, disappointed. "Wow. Thanks," he mutters, but he knows I'm waiting for Scarlett. He sits down next to me.

"You gotta drink something, man, this isn't healthy," he says. I shake my head. "Nah, I'm good," I mumble, but my voice is husky from the lack of water.

He cocks an eyebrow. I shrug and look back at the door. "I ruined it, didn't I?" I softly ask. He stops in his steps back to the kitchen and turns around again. 

"Maybe you did. But you couldn't know, Elijah. I thought it was Dante too," he says. My shoulders slump.

I should have looked first. I shouldn't have become that mad. I shouldn't have chosen for the attack.

"She'll come by again, I swear. She just needs a little bit time," he tells me. I nod, but don't believe him.

This isn't something for her, to ignore us for so long.

But, yet again, it's nothing for me either to lose my temper. 

I sigh. The door only opens for Owen, who comes hoe late again. He frowns at me. "Elijah, this isn't good for you."

"Don't you think I know that?" I snap. His eyes widen. "Woah, sorry." He runs off. I groan, in frustration with myself. Sorry, Owen.

If I carry on like this, I'll lose everyone. Not just Scarlett.