Chapter Twenty-Six

"Ev wake up." I'm jolted out of my sleep when I open my eyes and see Rafe shaking my shoulders.

           "Rafe!" I gasp as I nearly jump out of bed. "You left your door unlocked." He tells me and I wrap my arms around him.

          He was kneeling down next to my bed. I had jumped into his lap and was holding onto to him really tight, I wasn't planning on ever letting go.

          He smells like so much of alcohol right now. "Where were you?" I ask frantically as I pull away for a second. He doesn't say anything, his eyes look so dead.

        "Rafe I was so fucking worried, I looked for you everywhere." I tell him. He still doesn't say a word.

           He looked like a complete wreck. His face looked so sunken and tired. He had a dirty looking bandage on his forehead. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

        He seemed really sweaty and gross for some reason, like he hadn't showered for a while. There are stains and marks all over his tee. He looked nothing like he usually did.

       "I uh- I just needed to get away. It was too fucking much." He says softly, barely looking at me.

        "Where did you go?" I ask as I hold onto his hands. "I was with Barry." He admits. "I know that disappoints you, but I didn't have anywhere else to go." He says.

         My heart sinks at this. "What about here?" I ask him and he doesn't say anything. There's a crippling silence. I push away all the bad thoughts I'm having.

         "You're here now. I'll take care of you." I say as I squeeze his hands and he nods. I get him some water and then let him take a shower.

        I look for some of his clothes and find a tee and some sweatpants he left here. He looks a million times better after he's showered and changed.

         His eyes look extremely tired. I change out the bandage on his hand and forehead for him, I was surprised they weren't infected.

        We both get in bed and I feel as if I can never let go of him. "You should've seen him." He says. I was lying on his chest as he was talking about Ward that night, while staring at the ceiling. His voice sounded so empty.

       "I heard him." I whisper as I hold him a little tighter. He shakes his head and I watch some tears roll down his cheeks. "It's my fault." He tells me.

        "No it's not." I say back. "He's never going to forgive me." He says. "I mean why would he?" He goes on. It killed me so much to see and hear him like this.

       "Baby stop." I say as I sit up a little and touch his face. "I feel like I lost everything." He says in disbelief.

       "Rafe you know he's not going to stay like this forever. He's your dad Rafe." I remind him. "I can't lose you." He says, ignoring what I said.

       I nod slowly. "You won't." I whisper back. "Promise me." He whispers. "I promise." I tell him. He nods and rubs his eyes.

        "Just rest my baby." I say as I kiss his cheek slowly.

        He pulls me closer to him and closes his eyes. For the first time in days I finally felt at peace. I knew I could actually sleep and rest. It made me the happiest that Rafe was with me again. We cuddle the entire night, we don't let each other go for even a second. I had never felt safer.

        I wake up the next morning because Kiara calls me and talks about some master plan that will take place at my house soon.

        She wanted to get everyone in the same room and talking so we could work this out. I tell her it's not the best idea and that Rafe had finally come home.