Chapter Twenty-Three

"Holy fucking shit." Rafe begins swearing and panicking as he turns on the Jeep and begins driving crazily.

        My head begins to hurt at the realization of what he said. This situation really couldn't get worse. I try not to panic and find myself feeling like I'm not actually even there.

        Rafe is panicking enough for the both of us. "Oh fuck fuck. What uh- what do we do? Where do we go?" He panics as he begins to speed excessively.

       I begin to watch the speed meter on the Jeep go from 60 to 100 in seconds. I realize how quickly this vehicle is moving and that Rafe probably shouldn't be driving right now.

       "Okay we're going to the pharmacy. I'll uh I'll get you something there. It'll be okay." He says as he stresses out.

       He looks over at me and I can't take my eyes off the speedometer which is scaring me now. "Evelyn I need you to fucking talk to me. Talk Ev, fucking TALK." He screams at me.

       I swallow hard. Every time he screams it's as if he accelerates harder and harder. "Rafe." I say calmly and he looks over at me.

       He takes his eyes off the road and I'm met with a pair of bright headlights in front of us. There's a truck heading towards us and Rafe is swerving onto the wrong side of the road.

       "RAFE," I shout and he swerves out of the way, the truck horning at us immensely. Rafe continues to drive recklessly and he pulls up at the pharmacy near by.

      He shuffles out of the car and runs inside. For some reason I find myself unable to really move and I don't want to leave the car.

      Rafe comes out of the pharmacy as quickly as he went in. He gets into the car and holds a bottle of water and some packaging in his hands.

       "Okay, this is gonna fix it. Don't worry baby." He tells me as he unpackages some plan B. I feel like I'm having an out of body experience and I'm not really here with him in this moment.

       I don't have anything to say and nothing really to do. Rafe struggles with getting the pill out of its packaging and I just watch unable to move.

       "Here, here, here." He stutters as he hands me the pill and the water. I swallow it and drink a ton of water, hoping it'll help wash it down.

       Rafe watches me while running his hands through his hair. "Okay what do we do now?" Rafe asks me and I close my eyes.

       "Evelyn," He begins and I sigh. "I don't know Rafe," I say my voice coming out more squeaky than I expected.

       "Hey, baby it's gonna be alright." Rafe says as he reaches out and grabs my face. I look into his eyes and I rub my cheek on his hand. He leans forward and kisses my forehead.

       "Okay, let's um let's go talk to someone who can help." Rafe says as he turns the car on again. "Who do we go to?" He asks me.

       There's only one person who's found herself in the same situation before. Rafe might not like it. "Sarah." I say.

       "What the fuck." Sarah says as she processes the whole situation. The three of us are in her bathroom, freaking out.

        Rafe is rolling his eyes and beyond irritated that his sister is the only one who can help us right now. Sarah is shocked and slightly alarmed.

       I'm just resting against the sink counter and trying to pull myself together and remain calm throughout. I couldn't actually be pregnant. That wasn't something possible right now.