46

"I can't believe you'd really keep my apartment for me for over a year," Frankie murmured honestly, "Am I that predictable?"

Elijah laughed, his hand rose to push her hair back from her face and he pressed another kiss to her lips, "I was only working on becoming a little more of an optimist."

"How's that going?"

"Rather swimmingly if I'm honest," he said smoothly, looking at her who was straddling him on the couch, "I've certainly had worse afternoons."

Frankie laughed. She missed this, she really missed this. She missed how easy it was to be with Elijah, how easy it was to laugh with him and how content she felt beside him. Her phone beeped again but she ignored it, enjoying this moment as long as it would last, this moment with just Elijah before the reality of being with a Mikaelson would return.

"Have you had better afternoons?"

"Difficult to say," he frowned as though wracking his brain, "I'm a little old, my memory's a bit fuzzy."

"Well I suppose I'm number one by default then."

"By more than just default," he promised.

Frankie grinned and Elijah took the opportunity to pull her back towards him in a kiss. That was how they remained until a buzzing started, this time it was his phone rather than Frankie's and he broke apart from the kiss more than reluctantly to read the message.

"Klaus?" Frankie guessed, leaning her chin on his shoulder as she waited for him to read it, "What happened with the girl he didn't kidnap yesterday, what was that about?"

"There's been a prophecy," Elijah sighed, tucking his phone back into his jacket pocket as she sat straight and again and he looked up at her, "foreseeing death and destruction to my family."

"Is that kind of thing real?" she asked tentatively, the playfulness leaving her at once despite the nonchalance with which she said it, "You can't die, right? So it's all fake."

"Nothing is going to happen to anyone," he promised, "I'll allow no one to touch anyone I care for nor will I allow anything to harm me."

Frankie looked unconvinced. She didn't know if she was being overdramatic, but she felt sure if it was an impossibility he'd say so. Instead as he reassured her that he wouldn't let it happen it told her that it could. Too there seemed something in the way he shifted that told her there was something he was keeping from her and though it probably wasn't her place to pry after so long away she was concerned nonetheless.

"So it could be true? You say you won't let anything happen but that means that prophecy's have come true before you just won't let this one."

"True prophecy's have," he nodded, "not third rate ones from our enemies. I have no doubt this prophecy has been conjured up as means to drive us against one another."