First Night

I hug my little sister tight as she continues crying on my shoulder. "Oppa.. please don't leave me."

"I will come back soon. Oppa needs to study college. Don't worry, once I already save money, I will bring you to Seoul. Okay?" She just nodded but still sobbing in my arms.

My father gave to me my luggage. "Take care. Don't forget to eat on time And take good care of your eomma. Come back soon okay?"

I can see that my appa don't want to look at me. He already told me that he doesn't want me to go but he will not forbid me to chase my dreams. I really want to finish college. I waited for this opportunity to come and I will not waste it.

This is also my chance to be with my mother whom I haven't seen in a long time. Her bosses are very nice and generous. My eomma is their chief servant for more than twenty years. She took care of their only son much longer than she took care of me and my sister. But it's okay. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because the Jeons offered to send me to school as a reward for my eomma's loyalty to their family.

My appa, on the other hand, is a farmer. We have a small farm in the countryside of South Korea. But since I'm moving to Seoul, I will leave my appa and my little sister back home.

I spent 20 years in the countryside. So it will be a new life for me to live in the city. This is also my first time in Seoul and I'm both excited and nervous. I got accepted to a University and the Jeons promised to pay for everything including my allowance. But I need to work for them during my free time, weekends and breaks. No big deal as I am used in heavy works on the farm.

I felt a hand tapping my shoulder as I tried to open my eyes. I fell asleep while on my way. The driver woke me up as I arrived at the last bus stop. Five-hour travel made my muscles sore. But at least, I'm already in Seoul.

"Welcome to Seoul my Seokjin." Eomma hugged me tight as I arrived at the gates of the Jeons. "I miss you eomma."

"Come on inside. I bought cookies and juice for you." Eomma guide me inside. The mansion is quite big with a wide garden at the front. My eyes wander in awe around the big space. This is where I'm going to spend my four years while in college.

My momma's small quarter is at the side of the mansion. It used to be a small garage but was transformed into a small quarter. This is where I'm going to live for four years.

The place is cramped with two small bedrooms. There's also a small toilet and bath and a kitchenette. There's a low table in the middle where we can eat. I take a peek inside the bedroom. It doesn't have a bed but there is a yo (a Korean mattress) neatly folded in the corner with a pillow and blanket. There's also a small cabinet at the corner. I know the Jeans spent an amount just to make eomma comfortable and I'm happy about that.

"I will introduce you to them tonight. So better be ready around 7 after their dinner. They were expecting your arrival." Eomma instructed. "I have to go now. The maids are waiting for me in the kitchen. Feel at home."

Eomma left. My whole body was so tired. I think I needed to nap first before eomma introduce me to her second family, like what she always tells us.

I saw the smiles on Mr. and Mrs. Jeon's faces the moment I laid my foot in the dining room. Mrs. Jeon immediately get up on her feet to give me a hug. "You must be Seokjin. Soo Mi always talks about you." I smiled at the beautiful woman who just hugged me. Mr. Jeon reached his arm for a handshake that I gladly receive. "Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Jeon."

"You have a very beautiful son Soo Mi." Mrs. Jeon was all smiles while staring at me. Their gestures made me completely flustered.

Mr. and Mrs. Jeon were both very nice and welcoming. But the guy sitting across Mrs.  Jeon was exactly the opposite. He was expressionless and looks like he's not interested at all. If this is their son, I'm having second thoughts because eomma is so proud of how nice Mr. and Mrs. Jeon's son is.

"By the way Seokjin, this is my son's husband, Jimin." Mrs. Jeon introduced the guy who just looks at me with a raised eyebrow and a forced smile.

"Where's your husband Jimin?" Mr. Jeon asked.

"Still stuck in the stockholder's meeting father. He said he will come home late." Jimin answered.

"Well, I guess we will just introduce you to our son next time. It's Saturday tomorrow so he will be home. By the way, have you eaten your dinner yet?" Mrs. Jeon turned her smiling face at me.

"Yes, Mrs. Jeon." I made sure to bow whenever I answer her questions.

"Okay. Just enjoy your first night here and rest well. I'm so happy to meet you."

I think eomma made the right decisions after all. We used to get jealous back home because we rarely see her. She rarely visits us on the farm.
No wonder why my eomma chose to stay with them for more than two decades. Her bosses were just so kind and hospitable. I think it's rare to find people like them.

But I have to admit, I don't like that Jimin.