<>25<>

The next week, Wednesday at 4:00pm, Louis and Zayn found themselves sitting on a sofa outside the child psychiatrist's office with Niall sitting between them scribbling in a coloring book.

They'd been waiting for almost fifteen minutes before she finally emerged with her current patient.

The little girl happily sucked on a blue lollipop, her pigtails swinging as she and the psychiatrist walked off to her parents.

"She just walked by us like we didn't exist." Louis complained.

"She has to go talk with the parents, Louis." Zayn said quietly.

"Course she does." He muttered.

"It's not like you have anywhere to be." Zayn also muttered.

"Alright...Niall Malik?" The psychiatrist asked, looking at her clipboard.

"Over here." Louis spoke up with a wave, standing up.

Niall hopped down off the couch, looking up at the lady as she walked up and smiled at them.

"Hi Niall, I'm Dr.DeGeneres. How are you today?" She smiled, crouching down to his height.

"Why does this woman look like our son?" Louis discreetly asked Zayn.

"Shut up." Zayn said quietly, smiling as she stood back up and extended her hand.

"Hi, um, I'm Zayn Malik and this is my...." He trailed off as he shook her hand, looking at Louis.

"Soon to be ex-husband. Louis Tomlinson." Louis said, shaking her hand next.

"Well, my name is Ellen but you can call me Dr.DeGeneres. Niall, d'you want to come in and talk with me for a little bit?" She asked, looking back down at Niall.

"Okay." He shrugged, taking her hand.

"We'll be back soon." She said to Zayn and Louis before they disappeared into her office.

"Oh joy, more waiting." Louis sighed, sitting back down.

"I'm going out for a smoke." Zayn said, walking towards the door.

"I don't think you're allowed to leave the building." Louis said.

"I'm a cop. I can sort of do whatever I want." Zayn said before he turned and left.

He stood out in front of the building, leaning back against it and lighting a cigarette.

Not even two minutes later, his phone rang.

It was Harry.

Zayn smiled, answering. "What, Styles?"

"I'm sat here by myself eating crappy box macaroni and cheese." He complained.

"You're not by yourself you prick!" Zayn heard Ed say.

"Ed-" Harry tried.

"Harry moans your name in his sleep!" Ed called.

"I don't, he's lying." Harry said. "Will you shush? Go on somewhere!" He said to Ed.

Zayn grinned, listening to them argue a moment until he didn't hear Ed's voice anymore.

"Sorry about that. My point is, what're you doing later?" Harry asked.

"Taking Niall back home and making him dinner." Zayn said.

"Oh, I forgot about the psychiatrist thing. How's it going?"

"Lou can't stand it. S'like being there for his child just irks him." Zayn complained.