Chapter 7: Heart wrenching arrangements

Caden

I rolled over and readjusted my duvet, blocking the chilling breeze coming through the open window. Despite my night's rest, I still felt exhausted. The weight of yesterday's chaos was crushing.

The doorbell rang throughout the house, but I dismissed the thought as Lillian handles all of our guests. The doorbell rang again and yet nothing came through. It rang once more. "Lillian?" Her name echoed throughout my room as I called for her but when I heard nothing, I called again.

"Where on earth is she?" I whispered to myself before letting out a sigh then tiredly sat up, concerned for both the person at the door and Lillian. Looking around the house, I saw signs on no human activity. Dad went to work, Jo was at school, and I think I remember mum having brunch plans with some friends, but, where is Lillian?

Reluctantly opening the door, Blayze's secretary met my eyes the second the door was open. Behind her was a professionally dressed woman. The woman rolled her eyes in a not so subtle way, then directing her gaze to the ground. She clearly has some sort of issue with me, but I don't think I've met her before. Blayze's secretary cleared her throat.

"Mr. Norman has sent me here."

"Well, what does Mr. High and Mighty demand of me now?"

"This is Jennifer Alistair. She's here to guide you through the wedding planning for the next few days. Mr. Norman has requested that you spend the day with Ms. Alistair, now we must get started immediately if we want to meet the deadline of the twenty-fourth..."

"The twenty-fourth?! What happened to about a week? That's three days from now!" I cried as I dug my hands into my hair.

"Well, you better get your acts together, his words, not mine. It's time I get back to the office; I'll leave Jennifer with you." After hearing Blayze remark I let out a snort. Lisa, Blayze's secretary, left soon after. I put on the best smile I could and held out a hand.

"Hello Ms. Alistair, I'm Caden Carter. I'm sorry you're stuck with me." I half joked but seriously deep down, I was sorry. It was so not going to be easy getting me all dressed up.

Returning my smile, she commented quite positively. "Please, just call me Jennifer and I'm sure you're wonderful."

I guided her to the living room and let her have a seat. "Do you need anything to drink? We have soft drinks, tea, coffee, and water," I offered trying my best to be a great host.

"Oh, no thank you."

"Well if you change your mind it's in the fridge down the hall or feel free to ask. Anyways, I'm going to take a quick shower and change into something... presentable. I'll be back shortly." I told her before portraying a brief smile. She nodded with a smile of her own and then I was on my way back to my room. A part of me still wondering where Lilian could be.

***

Never in my life could I have imagined I would be in such a situation. Truthfully, wedding planning was no easy job. There were a lot of things to take care of and planning a high-class society wedding within nothing less than three days was a lot to do. A lot. I always imagined myself leaving all the work to the wedding planner. I'll let her know of my preferences, show up for my dress fitting and finally show up on the very wedding day but unfortunately, high and mighty Blayze thought it would be better to get me involved in it all.

He might think he was doing me a favour but clearly, he so wasn't. Apparently, the printing of the invitation cards was already being dealt with so after booking the hall for the exact wedding date, shopping for a few items, checking out the catering team in charge of the meals, and booking the team in charge of melody for that day, I was almost tired as hell. As I tried out several wedding dresses, I could hear Jennifer and the shop attendant debating on whether I looked good in it or not. Honestly, I didn't care one bit what I looked like in any of them. I saw no reason in dressing up for something my heart wasn't in. After spending many hours begging for mercy, Jennifer insisted that we persisted. Personally, I think she's afraid of Blayze, even if she doesn't want to admit it to me. I could see how tired she had grown from all the day's work but she wouldn't admit it.