Part 86 (Heart Still Beating)

Using the tool she made, CJ poked and prodded at the keyhole, only pausing if she heard someone in the hall which surprisingly, didn't happen much. Eventually, after several minutes of trying, she heard the click of the door unlocking and she froze for a moment, quickly going over her plan in her head. Get some supplies, find Sherry, get Daryl, and Get. Out.

Slipping the lock pick into her pocket, she lay down on her front to look through the gap under the door and was relieved the see the coast was clear. She got back to her feet and took a deep breath to calm herself before grabbing the door handle and slowly twisting.

She opened the door barely less than an inch wide at first, being very aware that someone could come by at any moment. She peeked through the gap, blinking at the sudden flood of dim light before gently opening the door wider so she could stick her head out to see the other direction.

Seeing two empty hallways and hearing nothing but silence, CJ didn't waste a second. She swiftly got out of the cell and shut the door behind her. She even turned the handle to lock the door again, so there would be no suspicion if anyone did come down this way. With that, she began making her way through the hallways of the Sanctuary.

She kept her back to the wall, being sure to look behind her every few seconds to make sure she wasn't being followed. Her heart was pounding against her ribs, but she ignored it. She walked for a while, to the point where she was in halls she had never been down before. Turning a corner, she kept moving until she heard voices growing louder as the Saviors headed her way from the direction she was going.

Shit, she thought to herself. Backtracking a bit, she spotted a door that was slightly open, and she quickly snuck inside and closed the door behind her. She leant back against the door and shut her eyes, listening out for the voices in the hall. They got louder for a moment before going quieter again, signalling that they'd gone passed.

CJ opened her eyes, letting out a breath as she looked around the small living space she had found herself in. There was a bed, a small couch, a coffee table, a kitchen area, even a TV. She decided this would be as good a place as any to pick up some supplies.

She went over and grabbed a grey rucksack, dumping out the contents. There was a lighter, a small knife, a few stray bullets and a couple of T-shirts. She quickly pocketed the bullets and slid the lighter into the front of the bag. Grabbing the knife, she tucked it into her waistband, feeling so much better now she had a weapon.

She continued to ransack the room, making a huge mess and not giving two shits. Opening a kitchen cupboard, her eyes fell on an entire box of protein bars. She dropped everything she was holding and grabbed the box, ripping it open and pouring out all the bars into her bag. She took a couple out and tore off the wrappers, scoffing both bars down within seconds. She rushed over to a mini fridge by the TV and opened it up, finding a few bottles of water. She screwed the cap off of one and a down most of it quickly before grabbing the other three and shoving them in her bag.

Then there was a soft knock at the door, and CJ froze.

She pulled out the knife and snuck over to the door, ready to fight her way out if need be.

Then there was another knock, this time followed by a familiar voice.

"CJ?" Sherry's voice was almost a whisper. "You in there?"

CJ let out a quiet sigh of relief as she opened the door just enough for Sherry to slip inside and close it again. CJ noticed that Sherry was no longer in the right black dress, and had changed into jeans and a flannel shirt, and had a large shoulder bag in her side.

"How'd you find me?" CJ asked quietly.

"I couldn't get to your cell before," Sherry explained. "So, I left this door open a little; I figured when you got out, you'd come this way. You find anything?"