Part 39 (My Blood, My Family)

It was decided that Michonne and Glenn would go back to the car as they were both hurt. Rick had told CJ to go too because her gunshot was still bleeding through the makeshift bandage but she insisted she was fine and refused to leave until they got Daryl.

Rick, Maggie and CJ snuck back around the wall they way they got out. The streets were completely empty which confused them. They heard the sound of cheering coming from a cornered-off area and slowly made their way over to hide behind a skip.

They peeked over and they saw Daryl and Merle, back to back, surrounded by walkers being held on poles. There was a crowd surrounding them, yelling and cheering. They were chanting "Kill them!" over and over again.

A man with a bandage over one eye was watching the brothers. He was tall, wearing all black. Short brown hair hanging slightly over the bandage. Even with just a few spotlights and fires lighting up the area, CJ could see the subtle smirk on the man's lips. He must be the 'Governor' Maggie and Glenn told them about.

Maggie and CJ rested their rifles on the edge of the skip and looked through the scopes before nodding to one another and shooting at the walkers in the circle. This elicited screams from the crowd and Rick took the opportunity to throw a flash-bang, filling the area with smoke as the civilians panicked and ran away.

Rick began firing along with Maggie and CJ as soon as the smoke had provided them with enough cover. CJ started shooting out the spotlights, trying to give Daryl as much cover as possible to get to them. She could barely see some of the soldiers through the smoke, all of them looking around not knowing where to shoot because of the lack of visibility.

They seized their attack and Rick shone his flashlight in Daryl's direction, knowing he would see it. Soon enough, Daryl ran over with Merle following behind him and the group all ran to the bus.

"They're all at the arena," Merle shouted. "This way!"

"You're not going anywhere with us!" Rick argued.

"You really wanna do this now?!" Merle shot back as he started to break a hole in the wall.

CJ stood in between Rick and Daryl as they all pointed their guns out to the street in case anyone showed up. Merle eventually broke through the wall and made a run for it.

"Come on, we gotta go!" Daryl said, turning to follow his brother.

By the time they reached the road where they were far from Woodbury, it was early morning. The darkness had dissipated and was replaced by the early morning sunrise. CJ could feel the pain in her arm a lot more now, noticing that it was still lightly bleeding. The adrenaline from the fight had caused her to pretty much forget about it up until this point. They were walking through the woods, heading back to the car to find Glenn and Michonne.

"Glenn!" Rick called out as they approached the road. "Glenn!"

"Rick?" they heard Glenn respond. "Thank god."

"Now we got a problem here," Rick started, holding his hand up. "I need you to back off."

"What the hell is he doing here?!" Glenn yelled and pointed his gun when he saw Merle. Michonne brought out her sword at the same time.

"He, hey, hey!" Rick shouted, holding his gun to Michonne.

"He tried to kill me!" she shouted.

"Michonne, just drop the sword!" CJ demanded. She unholstered her gun too, but didn't raise it.

"He helped us get out of there," Daryl tried to defend.

"Yeah, right after he beat the shit out of you," Rick spat back.