Part 46 (Life and Death)

"It's the only way," Rick began. "No one else knows."

After spending the night considering every option, he had made the decision to give Michonne to the Governor. He called Daryl, Hershel and CJ outside to discuss the plan. CJ was disappointed with the decision, especially after their talk the previous day. And it seemed like Hershel and Daryl were also against it.

"You gonna tell 'em?" Daryl asked.

"Not 'till after," Rick replied. "We have to do it today. It has to be quiet."

"You got a plan?"

"Tell her we need to talk," Rick explained. "Away from the others."

Daryl looked over Rick's shoulder at Hershel and CJ seeing that they weren't agreeing with what Rick was saying. "It just ain't us man," he said quietly.

"No. No, it isn't." Hershel added, shaking his head as he walked away.

"We can't just hand her over to him," CJ spoke up.

Rick paused for moment before trying to convince them again. "We do this, we avoid a fight. No one else dies."

"Rick, you said it yourself," CJ began. "There is no guarantee that even if we do give her up that he won't just kill us all anyway."

"Maybe not. But this is the best chance we have right now," Rick countered.

He looked between Daryl and CJ and Daryl reluctantly nodded in agreement. CJ looked at the ground and shook her head. The frustrating thing about this situation was that Rick was right in that there didn't seem to be another option that wouldn't involve a fight.

"We'll need someone else," Rick stated, looking at Daryl.

It took Daryl a moment to realise Rick was referring to his brother. "I'll talk to him."

"I'll do it," Rick replied.

"I'll go with ya."

"No. Just me."

With that, Rick walked away and left Daryl and CJ outside. CJ put one hand on her hip and ran her fingers through her hair, scratching the back of her neck slightly.

"You alright?" Daryl asked, making her look up.

"You can't possibly agree with this," she shook her head.

Daryl replied with a sigh. "What other choice we got?"

"Not sending Michonne off for the slaughter would be a start," CJ responded. "You really think that by giving the Governor what he wants that he'll just drop the whole thing?"

"Probably not," Daryl agreed. "This entire thing is bullshit," he muttered, looking out to the field.

CJ followed his gaze and sighed. "Yes, it is," she whispered.

After a while, they went back inside to find the others an came up with a plan to set up more security on the outside of the prison. Maggie and Carl yelled at the walkers to keep them distracted whilst Daryl and Glenn laid down spikes on the road that would puncture the tires of any cars if the Governor's people came back unexpectedly. Michonne and CJ killed any walkers that were too close as the men worked.

When they were done, Michonne and CJ hopped onto the back of the truck with Daryl, and they drove back up to the courtyard and Rick was by the gate to let them in.

"They try to drive up to the gate again, maybe some flat tires will stop them," Glenn explained as he got out of the car.

"It's a good idea," Rick agreed.