Part 53 (The Governor Returns)

The next day...

Daryl and Tyrese were driving the truck back up to the courtyard after disposing of a large number of walkers that had gotten through the fence the night before. They pulled up and saw Hershel walking towards them.

"How's Glenn doing?" Tyrese asked as they got out of the truck.

"He made it through the night," Hershel replied. "He's breathing on his own now. Maggie and Bob are with him. He seems stable enough for me to get some air."

"He's tough son of a bitch," Daryl said.

"He is," Hershel agreed.

Daryl pointed at Hershel. "You're a tough son of a bitch."

"I am," Hershel nodded proudly.

"How's CJ?" Daryl asked. "Any better?"

"She's a lot more awake now," Hershel replied. "I've told her she needs to stay in bed, but I'm not sure she plans on following that advice," he chuckled as he started to walk away.

"Doesn't surprise me," Daryl rolled his eyes with a fond smile. "What about Carol?" he asked, making Hershel stop and turn. "She up in A-block with Lizzie?"

"No, talk to Rick about her," Hershel replied. "She's okay. Just talk to him."

With that, Hershel walked away again, and Daryl was left wondering what had happened whilst he was out. This must have been the same thing that Rick and CJ were talking about in her cell last night. Now that he knew it involved Carol, he was even more worried.

When he found Rick, the two of them went into C-block to talk. Rick told him everything. About how Carol killed Karen and David and burned them in the hopes that it would stop the sickness from spreading. He explained how he took her out on a supply run and told her not to come back. Daryl was not happy about any of it.

"You couldn't a' waited until we got back?!" he grunted angrily as he paced around.

"Until Tyrese got back?" Rick asked questioningly, tilting his head.

"I coulda' handled that," Daryl muttered.

"Hey, she killed two of our own," Rick emphasised slowly. "She couldn't be here."

Daryl didn't respond as he glared at Rick. He understood why Rick did what he did, but Carol was one of his closest friends and the thought of her being sent out to live alone on the road angered him.

"She's gonna be alright," Rick continued. "She has a car, supplies, weapons. She's... she's a survivor."

"Stop sayin' that like you don't believe it!" Daryl snapped. He turned away from Rick and started pacing again.

"She did it," Rick said quietly. "She said it was for us. That's how it was in her head. She wasn't sorry."

"You think that's her... but that ain't her," Daryl mumbled, getting closer to Rick's face before turning away again. "What are we supposed to do about those two girls?"

Rick sighed. "I told her we'd look after 'em," he replied. "Hershel talked to CJ. She's said she'll watch out for them. She knows them best. They trust her."

"Man, you saw CJ last night," Daryl argued. "She's only just getting better herself."

"She won't have to do it alone," Rick was quick to defend. "We'll all help her."

Daryl sighed and leant his arms on the railing, looking down over it to the bottom level.

"I haven't told Tyrese yet," Rick said, looking down at his feet. "I don't know how he's gonna take it."