Chapter 63

I lazily get up at the sun shining through the almost broken down blinds. I take a deep breath before heading to the small shower, hoping not to wake up my mom with the creaking floor. I enter the small yet familiar shower and before I can help It, I burst into tears. 

Everything has changed so much, this shower still reminds me of the first day before I went to school and I wish I could re-live that moment over and over because all I see is how everything went wrong after I left. I run my hand over the familiar tainted glass before finally stepping out of the small shower and changing into my clothes from yesterday which only reminds me of Miles. 

I walk slowly over to my cabinet in hopes of finding some other clothes. I find ripped blue jeans and a light yellow off-shoulder top. I smile before slipping into the new clothes and leaving the ones I had on yesterday in the cabinet. I sit in front of my small makeup desk, my fingers hover over the broken glass in the very corner. 

I still remember when the mirror fell, Jace had brought his dog who ran into every room and bumped into my small wooden table. 

The mirror started to fall but Jace somehow managed to grab it by the corner, wounding his hand and breaking the small pat of the mirror. I apply my new mascara before using my mom's old curling iron to curl my hair like hers, with the smallest possible curls and applying lip-gloss.

"Mom?" I ask before hearing the door open. My mother walks in with a grocery bag.

"Did I wake you?" she asks but I shake my head, "no." She smiles before taking everything out of the bag. 

I walk over to the kitchen table and see a pile of envelopes. Every envelope reads 'Angela'.

"Mom, these are all to you and they're from the doctors." I point out but she brushes hair hand in the air.

"Oh, these are nothing important sweetheart, it's all taken care of." She smiles that reassuring smile of hers and I nod.

"Madison?" My mom turns to face me instead of the small fridge.

"Yeah?"

"How is school? You came very early yesterday, did you skip any classes?" she says and my stomach drops. I don't want to lie to my mother and I never have but she wouldn't understand, everything has changed so drastically since she last saw me and I don't want her to worry about my classes on top of the medical bills she has.

"No, I got some time off because Uhm, the professor said my grades were excellent." I smile, trying my best not to break down as I watch my weak mother smile back at me.

"That's great to hear darling, I knew I didn't have to worry about you." She says, holding me close and kissing my forehead.

"I was afraid to let you go to that school because of the environment, parties, and—but I knew my sweet little girl would stay on track like she always does." My mom says and my heart is threatening to break.

"I should go, Jace is waiting for me," I say, pulling away from her arms.

"Okay sweetheart, I love you." She smiles and I nod, "I love you too mom." I slip into my white shoes and hurry out into the cold morning air. 

I haven't been to Jace's house for so long. Graduating high school somehow got in the way and since I had to stay home with my mom most of the time I haven't been able to visit, but now that my mother is getting much better I can see Jace's room again. 

As I walk on the trail, I look at the grass beside me and the cows walking around. The sun shines into my eyes but the air doesn't get any warmer. I walk closer to Jace's home and finally up the three wooden steps that lead up to the front door.

"Come on right in." Nancy, Jace's mother smiles. She brushes a strand of her chestnut hair away from her face before struggling to close the door behind us. Her small hoop earrings and bright smile greet me as I step further inside.

"Thank you." I smile back before walking inside the home. It's just like I remember--small and comfortable. The inside is covered in wood which brings me back to the cabin for a split second.

"Everything okay?" She raises her thin eyebrows at me with a sweet smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I chuckle.

"Madison! We haven't seen you in a long time, tell me you're joining us for lunch tonight?" Jace's dad asks and I part my lips to say something but I can't say anything other than 'yes'. 

I nod and he gives me a bright smile before rubbing at the stubble on his jaw.

"Jace is in there." Nancy points to his room and I nod before walking towards it, it still has that paper with his name on it.

"Jace?" I ask, opening the door slowly to reveal Jace in a white tank top lifting dumbells in each arm.

"I thought you didn't work out." I smile, closing the door behind me. He looks at me, putting the dumbells down.

"I don't," he says, stepping closer with an awkward smile.

"But I did want to look good for ducky." He says and I chuckle.

"Ducky?"

"I figured she wouldn't bite me again if I'd manage to woo her." Jace smiles, showing me the bite on his hand.

"I think she still would." We chuckle.

"Let's go? I have something to show you." Jace smiles, extending his hand and I nod before taking his hand.