Chapter 28

"I haven't been up this early since I left for college." I blurt out. It's weird making small talk with Miles but it somehow feels comfortable.

"Where did you leave from?" he coolly asks. "Ohio,"

"you?"

"Kentucky, I mean not really, I'm from everywhere." He says with a light chuckle.

"How so?"

"my mom moved a lot, we never had a stable place to stay. It was almost like an obsession. One time we even moved into the house across the street." He informs me as he clenches his jaw. It's weird having a heart to heart with Miles and I appreciate every second of him not being a jerk. He pulls up to a Starbucks without my knowledge.

"What do you want?" His eyes search me.

"I don't know," I say as I look at the overwhelming menu.

"We'll both take a caramel frappuccino, grande." He says for me

"you hungry?" he asks as our Starbucks is handed to us.

"yeah." I say right before taking a sip of my coffee.

"where do you want to go? A diner?" I nod. He drives faster than Jacob which is a little nerve-wracking. A calm RnB song plays on the radio and Miles turns up the volume slightly.

"You can turn it off if you want." He says to my surprise. Why is he being so nice all of a sudden?

"So you ready for our assignment today?" he adds

"I'm not sure, that depends on if you're a jerk," I say, biting at my lip for pouring out the words.

"me? A jerk?" he scoffs and I giggle.

"I think we'll work pretty well together." He says, glancing at me with those devilish hazel eyes.

We sit down next to a big window and the waitress is quick to approach us.

"You two are a cute couple. Matching and everything, it's cute." The waitress says.

"Oh, we're n—" I start but she walks away. Miles smirks and takes a drink from his cup and I pour ketchup onto my plate.

"Thought you didn't like ketchup?" he asks as he takes another sip.

"I don't . . . just on things it belongs on."

"Right and fries are one of those?" He giggles. It feels weird being here alone, with Miles, talking as if we're some sort of friends.

"Yeah." I simply say before finishing my meal. The waitress lingers a little at our table before finally giving us the bill.

"I got this." He says coolly

"Thank you."

"You're not against me paying?"

"Oh, no, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assumed—"
he cuts me off.

"No, no, you're fine . . .  I was raised the same way." He says with a cute smile before sliding in a few dollar bills.