Chapter 58

Miles's hand rests on my thigh as he speeds through everything, all the way to the WSU parking lot.

"Do you want me to walk you to your dorm?" he asks but I shake my head and grab the roses from the back seat.

"I'm okay, thank you for everything." I smile and he nods before leaning in for a quick kiss. It feels good being with him, it's a feeling I never want to get over.

"I'll see you, baby girl." He smirks and I nod before slamming the car door. I let out a small breath as I walk towards the dorm building. The bright snow falls everywhere, blanketing everything in its path, including me and my roses. As I walk through the hallway I notice a tall figure standing by my dorm.

"Jacob?" I whisper as the figure approaches. I desperately want to disappear or at least make the blush on my face and roses in my hands go away. Jacob doesn't deserve this; he doesn't deserve to see me like this.

"Madison?" I hear his deep voice ringing through the hall. What was he doing in my dorm room? I smile at him as he approaches. His shades cover half of his face, showing almost no part of his face.

"Jacob, what's wrong—" I try, my hand reaching to the small purple peeking under his shades.

"Nothing." He says, grabbing at my wrist a little too harshly.

"Sorry, I just—" he stops himself.

"I don't know." He sighs with a small smile

"Did Miles—"

"It doesn't matter." He stops me and I look down at my feet.

"Jacob—" I begin.

"Would it change anything?" he surprises me by asking.

"I . . . I—"

"Thought so." He says before walking right past me. I stand there for a few seconds before realizing what I'm truly saying.

"Of course it would," I say, turning around. Jacob stops in his tracks and I walk towards him.

"Of course it would," I repeat except a little quieter.

"Would it?" he raises a brow.

"Yes," I say before my hand reaches up to his shades again. This time he doesn't flinch or grab my hand. I pull his shades away slowly and his dull blue eyes look right into mine. They aren't as blue as before and the white of his eyes looks almost grey. Purple and red cover his whole eye area. My mouth is wide open and I quickly cover it with my hand, dropping the flowers in my hands.

"Oh my god, Jacob," I say. His right eye is swollen with dark red. Dried blood is scattered slightly on his eyelids and he has a small white closure strip above his right eyebrow.

"I had to get three stitches." He says after I eye the strip.

"Oh, Jacob," I say, my voice low and my eyes teary.

"I can't believe this." I sigh, trying to keep my emotions at bay.

"Can't you? Because I thought I should be backing off." his jaw clenches.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, shaking my head slightly.

"That's what you sent from your phone." He points out but I shake my head.

"I would never say that," I say and my mind instantly travels back to the restaurant and how Miles was alone with my phone for a few minutes.

"Miles," I whisper through my thoughts.

"Yeah," Jacob says harshly, his tongue hitting his inner cheek.

"Jacob," I say and his glossy eyes look into mine.

"I'm sorry," I say sincerely and his features start to soften.

"I know you are Madison, but it won't change anything."

"Look, I know you care but as long as you're with him everything else goes into complete hell." He says before lifting up his shirt and revealing his strong stomach painted in purple and red.

"Oh my god." I turn away with tears in my eyes. If I look for any longer the tears in my eyes will spill without an end.

"Oh, Jacob." I close my eyes and he approaches closer.

"I've hurt you so much."

"It's okay, you'll see who he is. I'll pray that you see him—the real him." He breathes, kissing my forehead.