CHAPTER 50

YOU TAKE MY HOODIES, I STEAL YOUR SCRUNCHIES

Today morning was nothing like yesterday. Why? Because my first thought was that I would be meeting dad's family today.

Instant grumpiness.

Catherine, Ryan, dad and me are currently waiting for them in the lobby. "Dude are you alright?"Ryan asks, staring weirdly at me from where he sat. I turn to him with a confused look and he nods towards my packet of Skittles, "You finished off 2 of those like nothing."

I look down and see just one remaining in the packet, "No, I'm good."

Around 7 minutes later, I see 1 gingerhead and 1 blonde haired devil enter the hotel along with their somewhat okay parents. Soon after them, entered the next family and then the next, walking up to us.

I gulp and take a deep breath, forcing myself to show a firm face. Don't let them know how they affect you, Brooklyn. You're strong okay?

"Hey Brooks!" Elisha, Elliot's older sister, smiles, so plastic, Kim Kardashian would have no chance. I plaster one myself as she hugs me.

It pisses me off. Why do they pretend  they like me if they actually don't? Like, okay, I'm doing it too, but if it were up to me, I would have skipped the hug and all those extra, just-for-show gestures.

Elliot and Mason walk towards us in their typical leather jackets. I control the urge to roll my eyes. Even Ryan isn't that stereotypical. 

Seriously, the only cousins I like from my dad's side are the little ones. Four and five year old boy and girl respectively. Sadly they could not come today because they are exhausted after the flight, so they stayed home with their mother.

"Hey Brooklyn, been long." Mason greets and I nod, wondering why all 3 of them are smiling at me. Elliot sighs, "Listen, we're sorry about how we were with you in the past, okay? We were kids back then. We've grown now, we understand better."

I stare at him with a raised brow for a few seconds and then shake my head, "No you'll don't. Everything you'll do has a motive to humiliate me, what's this one?"

They look at each other and roll their eyes. "Just believe us. I know it's hard. We knew you wouldn't just give in, but see." Elisha says, "It's a new beginning for your dad, and a new chapter for you too. We don't want to be the bad ones in this and ruin it for you. You've been through a lot, Brooklyn. We don't want to hurt you anymore."

I blink once, looking at her and then do the same for the other two who had innocent, worried faces on now.

Maybe they really did change. I can give them a chance maybe. I nod and walk up with the rest of the family to our suite.

Ryan was engaged in a conversation with Elliot and Mason when I opened our room door.

Oh wait, did I mention that there were only 2 bedrooms so Ryan and me had to share one? Yeah. But thankfully there were two separate beds so that saved us from a very awkward situation.

"Hey I just noticed your necklace. Where's it from?" Elisha says, sitting on the chair accompanying the table. My hands clasp the necklace, as if protectively, "Yeah, um, my boyfriend gave it to me. When he proposed." I hesitantly say.

Mason's eyebrow rises, "Your boyfriend?" 

"You have a boyfriend?" Elliot adds and I nod, "Yeah I do." Elisha smiles, again, that fake one, "That's so sweet, Brooklyn. Who's he? What's his name?" 

All their eyes were on me. I hated being the centre of attention around them, or any people I'm not close to. This is extremely awkward.

Or maybe I'm making it awkward? Should I say something? But what if I embarrass myself in front of them?