CHAPTER 27

WHY NOT GIVE HER A REASON TO SMILE, RIGHT?

LUKE POV

"So dad was the one." Brooklyn says after I'm done narrating the whole story. I nod, "Yeah but he was doing it because he didn't want you getting hurt Skittles."

"That doesn't mean he can just go and threaten you to ignore me though. That was wrong of him." She says and I shrug, "Well at least we've passed all that now. We don't have to worry about getting further threats any longer."

"Because you threatened him about telling me about the reason for the divorce." She chuckles and I smile, nodding.

That's what I told her I blackmailed him with. I couldn't find the heart to tell her about her dad's lie, it would break her heart. She already doesn't like him much after finding out the reason for the divorce, plus more so now after he told me to ignore her. Telling her about his lie would be just adding fuel to the fire.

She would probably hate him after knowing that and even though I'm not very fond of Henry myself, I feel that no father should ever go through the pain of being hated by his own daughter. No matter how much he deserves it.

"Skittles." I say softly, leaning my head back on the headboard. She hums in response. "Do you think I'm weak? Because of my injured hand?" She looks confused at me, "No Luke. Why would you think that?" I shrug, "I look weak with this sling on. I can't even fight if anyone tries hurting you. I'm suppose to be able to do that as your...yeah."

Ugh you're not her boyfriend yet Luke! 

She blushes and leans her head on my shoulder, "I don't think you look weak. You survived a freaking car crash Luke." She chuckles. "It wasn't a car crash, I was on my bike" I correct her and she looks up at me and blinks, "What?" I nod.

"And I'm finding out about this now? I didn't even know you owned a bike Luke."

I chuckle, "That's coz I don't ride it much. I'm more of a car person but I just happened to take the bike that day." "What would you have done if it was the BMW you had taken instead?" She grins and I shake my head, "I don't even want to think about that."

She hugs my waist and sighs. I kiss her hair which has a tangy shampoo smell to it, unlike the rest of her which smells like pure vanilla cookies. She honestly smells amazing, however weird that sounds.

Her phone rings after some time, interrupting our silence. She groans and picks it up, muttering some things to her dad before cutting the call.

"So now what?" She asks and I grin, "Now you'll be going home like the good girl you are because your father is waiting for you." I respond and she grumbles, "That's not what I meant." "That's what I mean though." I say, standing up from the bed, "Really. You should go fast. Your dad already called you twice asking when you'll be back. If he plans on going to Liam's to pick you up himself, you'll be screwed."

She rolls her eyes, "Fine. Whatever."

I drop her to her apartment even though it's just two floors above. "OK listen. I'm going down because I really don't want to put you in any more trouble. But if you need anything, call. He won't say anything to you, but still." I remind her and she nods, slowly walking to the door.

"Skittles." I call her and she turns.

"You still have my clothes on." I smile. I had given her another cartoon hoodie I randomly found in my closet. How the heck do I even suddenly own those? Anyway so since I don't wear them and this girl seems to adore them, I gave it to her. Why not give her a reason to smile right?

She looks down and blushes, quickly slipping it off of her trying not to lift the t-shirt up, but it does ride up her stomach a little. My cheeks heat up and I look away, steering away any wrong thoughts.

She hands it over to me but I just turn her and open the zip of her bag and place it in, patting it, "Now go." She smiles and pecks my cheek before I head downstairs.

BROOKLYN POV

At dinner, dad tells me more about his next week's business trip which would last for 3-4 days. He keeps apologizing for having to go and I patiently shrug it all off.

I was internally happy. Why? I'm getting to stay at the Johnson's house during those days! And plus, I won't have to pretend being happy anymore around dad, at least till he's gone.

At 11:00 in the night, I video call Harp and Liam and update them on everything that happened

"Oh. Well that's...nice I guess. I'm surprised he's even allowing you to already stay at their house itself, when he's gone. The threat must've affected him a lot." Harp says and I shrug, "Yeah I guess."

Liam smirks, "See? My plan of you staying at Luke's instead of mine really paid off, like all my plans do." Harp raises her brow and smirks, "Need I remind you about the 2017 Halloween trick plan for the Lindon household?" He groans, "Shut up Harp, you always ruin my happiness. It was not my fault that Brandon hadn't informed us about his stupid glitter allergies!"

I chuckle as I recall the messy memory while Harp starts pointing out every one of Liam's plans which went flop and might I say, there were tons!

-------

At night, I found it hard to get sleep, after ages. No matter what I thought of, how I slept, I just wouldn't get sleep. So I debated whether I should call Luke up and talk to him since his voice often helped my mind relax and sleep. But what if he's already asleep? I don't want to be disturbing him. Sighing, I give him a missed call. If he's awake, he'll probably call back.

And sure enough, he did. "Hey Skittles. Missed me too much already?" I can actually hear the smirk in his voice. Idiot.

"Shut up Luke." I grin.

 He chuckles, "Ok. What's up?" I stay silent, not knowing what to say.

"Hey what happened? Are you fine? Did Henry say anything to you?" He asks me, concern lacing his voice. "No, I'm fine like that. It's just that..." I sigh, "First of all, I'm so sorry for calling you at this time of the night Luke. I hope you weren't sleeping." 

"I wasn't Skittles. And honestly, you have nothing to be sorry about. You can call me any time okay? I'll listen to you." I smile, "Thank you Luke...Um I called because, I uh I'm not getting um I'm uh-"

"You're not getting sleep?" He completes for me, chuckling. I let out a small laugh, "Uh yeah. I'm not saying you should come here or anything and please don't think I'm being clingy, oh god that's how I'm coming out isn't it? That's not what I mean at all I-"

 "Woah woah Skittles. Calm down." He cuts off my rant, "I don't think you're being clingy okay? It's fine." I bite my lip and sigh, "Yeah I'm sorry I overthink things a lot."

"You don't have to, when you're around me." He says softly, "Do you want me to talk to you as you sleep? Will that help?" He asks and I nod, not registering that he couldn't see me, but he starts talking anyway.

We talk for quite a while until our words turn into whispers and finally into only gentle breathing. Sleep overcomes my system as I hear his soft snores, dragging me into my own world of deep slumber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of a short chapter. Buttttt a very, very exciting chapter coming up! Stay tuned;)

LOVE YOU GUYS...STAY SAFE XOXO