CHAPTER 29

CHRISTMAS PREPARATIONS

Today is Wednesday and dad left for his business trip yesterday, which means I'm finally staying at the Johnson's again now! And since Christmas is just a week away, Luke decided that we could start decorating the house and putting up the Christmas tree when we got home from school.

On our way, we saw people fixing Christmas lights onto the light poles and green decorated garlands were hung outside shops. We made a few stops to buy some extra decorations before Liam reached us home.

"I can't believe Christmas is just a week away!!! It came so soon this year!" I excitedly squeal while putting up tinsel in the living room.

'Joy To The World' was now playing in the background from Luke's speaker and I heard him softly singing along to the carol and bobbing his head while untangling some Christmas lights.

I always liked Christmas. Just the idea of sipping hot chocolate with your loved ones while exchanging gifts had me smiling. And of course, the birth of Jesus brought happiness too. 

When dad and mom were still together, we would visit both of their parents and spend each half of the day with one. Usually it used to be the day time with dad's and spend the night at mom's. But after the divorce a lot changed. I never got to go to my mom's hometown along with dad and we could never even get to go to dad's house since his parents died just a few months after the divorce, in a car crash.

Dad's parents were really the nicest people I've ever known unlike the lie he told Luke about me never liking them and that they were strict.

I was brought back to reality by Luke nudging my arm with some poky tinsel. I shake my head and look down at him from the sofa I was standing on. "You zoned out. What happened?" He asks gently but I shake my head, smiling, "Nothing. Just remembering my childhood Christmas." 

When we were done, the house looked wonderful! We had a small Santa Claus statue with a trumpet that played 'Jingle Bells' when you pressed a button and Luke kept playing it over and over because he knew the tone annoyed me. Jerk.

Anyway, that was kept on the round table in a corner, then a wreath hung on the outside of the front door and the walls had evergreen garlands and tinsel which were decorated with hollies, pine cones and velvety red ribbons.

We kept short scented candles as a table centerpiece and a small Nativity Scene house kept on a table next to one of the sofas. Other cute table deco was kept in the small compartments below the TV. In the veranda, we entwined Christmas lights around the low grill railing and tinsel over the passage leading to it.

Luke and me crash on his bed, sighing, after we're done with his room. "I'm exhausted!" Luke huffs. "And I'm starving. Is there anything to eat?" I ask and he smirks, turning his head to face me. I lift my brows, "Don't. Say it."

He chuckles softly and moved his head to rest on my lap when i sat up, "What did you think I was going to say Skittles?" He smirks. 

Oh Holy Night, 

The stars are brightly shining 

It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.

"There is holy music going on Luke, clean that dirty mind of yours." I roll my eyes and he chuckles, "My dirty mind? You're the one who assumed I was going to say something bad." I raise my brow, "What were you going to say huh?" He twitches his lips, "Just was going to inform you about the brownies in the kitchen."

"Yeah sure." I muse, leaning my head on the headboard before we fall into a comfortable silence with soft carols playing the background keeping the Christmas spirit alive.