CHAPTER 8

MY SUSPICIONS WERE RIGHT, HE'S A CHEETAH IN DISGUISE.

BROOKLYN POV

The week went by pretty fast, and a lot happened.

For starters, mum went back and two, my dad and Luke's dad met at the supermarket and realized they live in the same building so now they are best friends. Which... is a bad thing for me, because this means I may be seeing more of Luke than I need to. Like today, being a Saturday, the Johnsons called us for dinner. They said it would be a good chance for us to 'bond.'

"Brooklyn are you ready to leave?" Dad asks putting his phone in his pocket. I nod and open the door, "Do we have to go?" I ask for the 25th time today. He sighs, "Brooklyn, they're our new neighbours. And plus, it's not like you won't have anyone there. There's Luke. He's your friend." I snort, "Friend my foot"

"Why, have you'll still not cleared the misunderstanding?" he asks and I shake my head, "Yeah but I don't think we are friends, more like...acquaintances."

Then I remember that time he saved me from that creepy dude in the lift, "Actually, I guess we could be called friends" Dad scrunches his eyebrows, "Anyway let's go"

We go down and ring the bell and soon the lady who received Liam and me that day, appears, "How may I help you?" she asks and I assume she didn't remember me. "We are the Taylors" I respond. 

"Oh yes you'll are invited to dinner today, yes. You'll live upstairs, right? How could I forget. Please come in."

She makes way for us to enter and just then we see a beautiful lady walk out of the room. Her blue eyes resembled that of Luke's, just...hers weren't mysterious like his, rather they were gentle and welcoming. The dress she's wearing matches her eyes and hugs her figure perfectly, making me feel under-dressed in my grey long sleeves top and black pants.

"Hello Henry. And oh my goodness, Brooklyn!" She smiles wide and she comes over to hug me. "Hello Mrs. Johnson, how are you now?" i ask and she waves her hand in a dismissive manner, "Oh you can call me Rosanna sweetie. And I'm good, all thanks to you and your mother." Just then, another man walks out. Luke's dad. "Henry!" he exclaims hugging my dad. "How have you been Chris?" dad asks him, as if they didn't just meet in the morning.

"Good." he turns his attention to me. "Brooklyn! How are you my girl?" I smile at him and make small talk. He makes me feel like we've known each other since forever, even though I just met him. Now i know where Luke got his easy-going attitude from. "Mom do you know where my charger is?" 

Talk of the devil.

Luke walks out, scrunching up his hoodie sleeves and his eyes lock with mine, "Sk-Brooklyn, Mr. Taylor. Hello." he says walking towards us. He shakes dad's hand and gives me a sly smirk. 

"Hi Luke and you can call me Henry" my dad tells him and he nods. Then Dad and the Johnsons sit down and dive into a conversation about some business-related stuff while Luke and I were forced to talk to each other as we were each other's only company. I sit at the dining table and Luke sits opposite me.

"So Skittles, what's up?" 

"You were about to call me that earlier, weren't you?" I grin at him and he chuckles. I absent-mindedly play with the empty glass kept on the table. "Where's Dr. Eden?" Luke asks me and i bite my lip, looking down. "What's wrong?" He asks again and I clear my throat, "Um, uh, mum is uh...not really..." i sigh, "My parents are divorced Luke."

Silence settles over us and his mouth forms an 'o' shape, "I didn't know that, I'm sorry. Do my parents know?" he asks and i shrug, "Dad must've told them probably, I don't really know." He nods and looks around awkwardly.