Chapter 17

I took two weeks off of work to take care of Sam. He's getting around pretty well, but Dr. Preston wants him to take off at least two more weeks. Sam has a fellow OB/GYN caring for his practice while off. I just finished preparing spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner. Sam is slowly making his way to the table. He was just on the phone with Sammy.

"Yum, Babe! Dinner smells amazing." Sam limps over to me and kisses me on the cheek.

"Thank you! How's Sammy?" I inquire.

"She's good, but I do want to run something by you."

We sit down and fill our plates.

"Yeah? What do you want to run by me?"

"Well, I've been loving staying with you these last couple of weeks, and the thought of leaving you is honestly breaking my heart," he admits.

I put my hand on my chest in awe of this man. "So what are you suggesting?"

Sam explains, "Sammy and Tim's leases on their apartments run out at the end of this month. They've been looking for a house to rent but have been unable to find one they both like. On the phone just now, Sammy commented how she and Tim would love to find a house like mine because they both love it."

"Okay..." I'm not sure where Sam is going with this.

"What do you think about offering to rent them my home, and you and I become permanent roommates?" he smiles and wiggles his brows.

"You want to move in here?" I ask, surprised.

"If you will have me." He takes my hand.

"Your house is amazing, Sam. Why would you want to leave it?"

"Because it doesn't have you." He squeezes my hand. "So, what do you think?"

"If you are sure that is what you want, I would love to have you as a roommate." I grin.

"Oh, I'm so damn sure!" His eyes sparkle as he takes my hand and kisses it.

Sam's returning to work on Monday

Sam's returning to work on Monday. We've been spending all weekend going through things in his home with Sammy and Tim. There are three categories as we sift through Sam's belongings. First, does Sam want to keep it? If not, Sammy and Tim then have the option to keep it. If they do not want it, it goes on a donation pile.

Once we sort everything in Sam's house, Scott and Tim move what he's keeping to my house and take the unwanted items to the donation center.

"I didn't feel very helpful," Sam says, dismayed.

"You know there's no way that Scott or Tim would have let you lift a finger. You start work tomorrow, and you don't need a setback because you overdid it," I say, trying to make him feel better.

He lowers his eyes. "I know that you're right; it's just hard feeling so damn helpless."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure that this has been hard on you. We'll take care of them all with your delicious grilled steaks."