Hospital visit Pt 5

S- I already know what you were going to say.
D- isn't it wonderful. I thought you would be happy. All of us are.
S- EXCUSE ME? YOU'RE HAPPY ABOUT THIS. WHAT KIND OF SICK PERSON WISHES DEATH ON A PATIENT AND GETS EXCITED ABOUT IT.
D- death? What? Colbys alive. What are you talking about.
S- but I thought he died. Some nurses ran by this room saying someone getting Colbys surgery had died.
D- we have more than one patient getting this surgery done Sam. I came to tell you good news about Colby.

I feel so embarrassed for yelling at Colbys doctor. I shouldn't have done that. What was I thinking.

S- I'm so sorry I yelled at you and accused you.
D- no need to apologize Sam. I understand where you're coming from. You're stressed out and not thinking clearly. Of course anyone in your situation would have done the same thing. Do you want to hear how the surgery went?

I quickly nod my head.

S- YES YES YES
D- okay. So we were able to fully remove all of Colbys cancer. He is going to live and the chance of it coming back is 27%. As I said earlier though there are usually side effects of this surgery.

My smile slowly dropped. My heart can't take any more bad news.

D- while we were removing the cancer from Colby we noticed that the cancer had attacked his digestive system which is what was making him throw up a lot. The damage the cancer has done to his digestive system will most likely be permanent.
S- what will be permanent now?
D- Colby will have to eat a restrictive diet with no gluten and very few high fiber foods.
S- that's it? We can live with that. I thought you were going to say he would have to be tube fed or something like that or have to be hooked up to some sort of machine.
D- Colby is currently in one of the back rooms recovering. He will have to stay here for another day so we can monitor him but you can go see him if you want.

I thank Colbys doctor once more and run off down the hall to Colbys room. I can't believe the good news. I push open the door and see Colby laying in the bed eyes barely open and tubes and wires attached to him. I slowly walk over to him and grab his hand. He turns his head to look at me.

S- colbs I'm so glad you're okay. How do you feel?
C- anxious
S- I can understand that. This was very traumatizing for you.
C- no. I'm not anxious about that.
S- then what are you anxious about?
C- I'm anxious to know when I am allowed to go back to exploring with you. I can live with a restricted diet but I can't live without you or exploring.

I look at Colby and start laughing. I can already tell Colby is doing better. His sense of humor is back and that is obvious.

THE END.

Tell me what you thought of this story in the comments 🙂