Hospital visit Pt 1

Inspired by my favorite movie. For video skip to 1:04

As I'm getting into bed I can't stop worrying about Colby. He hasn't eaten anything today and he's been very quiet. He went to bed at 7:24 tonight. He never goes to bed before midnight. I'm hoping he's stressed out.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep but I'm woken up around 3:42 to Colby yelling my name frantically. It sounds like he's in pain.

S- "I'm coming Colby"     I yell as I jump out of bed and run across the hall.

I open Colbys door and turn on his light. I see him thrashing around on his bed holding his stomach. He's drenched in sweat, hair sticking to his forehead, cheeks bright pink and tears running down his face.

C- IT HURTS SAM. IT HURTS. IT HURTS
S- what hurts Colby?

Colbys crying too hard to respond. I've never seen him in this much pain before.

S- what hurts Colby? I ask again as I lay my hand on his back.
S- OMG Colby. You're burning up.

Just then Colby leans over the edge of the bed and start violently puking.

S- lets go to the hospital Colby. I'm calling and ambulance.
C- "NO. I-I-IT HURTS. IT HURTS SAM." Colbys yells between sobs and frantic gasps for air.

S- no to what colbs. The ambulance?

Colbys nods as he throws up again.

S- okay. I won't call an ambulance but we need to go to the ER no matter what. Can you walk to the car?

Colbys shakes his head no as he cries harder. I pick Colby up and carry him out to the car. He is very hot and sweaty. I lay him down in the back seat and start driving.

S- "we're going to get you help colbs. You'll be okay. Deep breaths" I say as I look at him curled up in a ball in the backseat. Hang in there. Just a few more minutes.

I pull in front of the ER and look back at Colby who has gone limp in the back seat.

COLBY i yell. COLBY WAKE UP!!

He doesn't move. I run into the ER.
"HELP. SOMEONE HELP. MY BEST FRIEND ISN'T MOVING" I scream.

Two nurses rush out to the car with a stretcher and put Colby on it. As we are running back inside the nurse starts asking me questions.

N- what happened before he passed out
S- he hasn't eat anything today and I woke up to him screaming in pain holding his stomach.
N- "was he holding the left or the right side of his stomach?"  She asks as she reaches for a oxygen mask and thermometer.
S- Uhh I think it was the lower right. I'm not sure though. Why?

The thermometer beeps and Colbys temperature is 104.7 they quickly put an IV in his arm and an oxygen mask on his face.

N- by the symptoms you described it sounds like his appendix ruptured. We will do some quick tests to make sure that's what it is. If he does have that he will need immediate surgery to remove it or he will die.

The doctors rush Colby through the double doors and down the long hallway.

A while later the nurse tells me that it was a ruptured appendix and that Colbys in surgery right now. He should be done in a few hours.  They also tell me that the surgery is very risky and that the are multiple ways it has gone wrong on other people but they wouldn't do it if they didn't believe it would help Colby.

As I'm waiting in the waiting room for Colby only 2 hours pass by but it feels like days before the doctor comes over to talk to me.

S- hows Colby? Did the surgery work?

The doctor just looks at me silently. I feel anxiety build up inside me as my smile fades.

TO BE CONTINUED.....