Chapter 4

Athena

The shower is piping hot as I try my best to gather my thoughts together. 

I want to burn all of the worries and stress away. I want this hot water to rid me of all of this. 

These feelings are too much for me. 

Seeing Mama fighting for life on that hospital bed is messing with my head. I don't know how long I spend in the shower all I know is that my skin is all red and wrinkly. 

My mind stuck on one image in my mind. My Mama.

I get out the shower checking the time and see that it has been 3 hours since I was in the shower. Walking into my closet I grab the first thing I see; dark denim ripped jeans, black lace camisole and a grey cardigan with black boots. 

I blow dry my hair and put it into a messy bun.

"Inside voice darling!" Our little inside joke.

I don't know many times Mama has said that to me it just become second nature.

Every time I hear her say darling I always end up smiling and laughing. 

I just wish someone was there with her. When everything happened I wished I was there. Not drunk off my ass in a club somewhere.

After eating a granola bar I head back to the hospital not knowing that I was about to face a personal demon of mine. Now that it is midday, the hospital is bright and busy with doctors and visitors everywhere.

I purposely slow down on the walk to Mama's room.

A small uneasy feeling stirring within the pit of my stomach. 

What is happening? Why am I scared to go back to the room? I ask myself. 

I feel nauseous and sweaty.

Is Mama alright? I mean she has to be.

Before I know it I bump into a body and I feel myself falling but steady arms hold me.

"I'm so sorry!" I look into the eyes of a middle-aged doctor. 

"No it is ok it was my fault. I should have looked where I was going. Thanks for saving me from the fall!" I say hurriedly before walking away. 

Is that a sign? 

Is something bad going to happen?

I turn the corner for Mama's room but I do not expect the sight that I see. 

How? Why? Is h-? I stop myself. 

No it can't be. 

My breathing becomes uneven and I feel like a child again.

There they are. She cries into his arms. 

Cries seeing my Mama. 

How is she here? All the way from Italy. 

That quick. I mean I wasn't gone that long. 

They haven't noticed my presence. Probably because I'm standing like 2 feet away from them. I'm scared. I want to run back home. 

But I want to ask them about him. 

"Athena!" Her voice is the same as before.

Soft and full of kindness. 

I shake my head panicking. I can't not after I tried so hard to build those walls up. Those walls that can come tumbling down from the mention of him.