Sneaking

As flames took hold of the wooden beams in the storehouse and the roar of the fire filled the air, the sound of shouts and cries of alarm could be heard as the townsfolk reacted. After closing the door on the blaze, Arya had once again deposited herself in a place where she could observe the goings-on, and while a few of the civilians came to help because they knew nothing of the raid, it was mainly those in the Lord's employ that rushed to the scene.

She noted the chaotic way they tried to deal with the fire. No orderly chain of buckets to the nearby river to attempt the dowse the flames, but a crazed flailing of people, some scurrying for water while others shouted about the food and tried defying the blaze to gain entry.

Having already considered some of their actions, Arya smiled as she watched them try to break down the locked door. She knew it wouldn't hold for long. She'd dowsed the thick wood in some of the oil she'd found inside the store, and parts of it were catching light.

As she watched more figures streamed from the castle, Ayra mentally counted their number and made a note of their faces where she could make them out. Each one would die before she left this town.

It was time to move.

Arya slipped off the roof and stole like a shadow through the streets toward the castle. The gates were open, with the two guards stood ten yards ahead as they strained their necks for a better view of the blazing storehouse. Arya edged around the shadows of the wall and slipped inside the gaping entrance. It was tempting to slit their throats and have two fewer bastards in the world to deal with, but Arya had other plans.

Once inside the gate, there was only a small courtyard at the front before the central tower. Staying in the shadows, she swept around the outside, passing beneath the archway of part of the inner wall, before coming upon a raised rear courtyard. While the castle itself was nothing spectacular, the back portion of the small fortress was quite extraordinary.

As Arya climbed the steps of the raised courtyard, the moon emerged from behind a smattering of clouds to bathe the area in its silver sheen. There was no rear wall to the castle grounds as the building was pushed up against the river, but the raised courtyard was also high above the river level preventing any enemy boats from using it as a natural point of attack. Either side of the yard, next to the walls which proffered protection from land attacks, were two sturdy-looking catapults as an extra deterrent to any would-be attackers. Though Arya doubted they'd ever been fired in anger.

The yard itself was mainly grass and once had been a garden where the Lord and Lady of the land could walk and enjoy the lush green plants and flowers of bountiful colour. They would have been able to stroll to the edge where they would watch boats slowly ease down the river.

But the vegetation had been ripped out. Dwarf trees replaced by five large bonfires topped by long poles. Much of the grass was blackened and browned. What wasn't scorched had been trampled by the thousands drawn to the horrific spectacle of the sacrifices to the Lord of Light.

Three of the bonfires were clearly under construction only half as large as the main two. Arya approached the nearest, using its shadow to hide her from any prying eyes. The sound of shouting from the town where soldiers continued to fight the fire dominated the night and any eyes would surely be looking towards the activity.

For a moment, thick clouds hurried across the sky as the breeze stiffened, obscuring the moon. The shouts turned to screams and Arya imagined flames fanned by the wind had probably caught out stupid soldiers with no idea of how to tackle the blaze.

When the silver light of the moon re-appeared, Arya examined a tall wooden pole to see the scorch marks on the wood, and blackened shackles hung ready for the next victim to be bound before the flames consumed their frail body.

It sickened her to think how many decent townsfolk had died upon the bonfires. People who had survived the devastating war against the army of the dead, only to be burned alive on the whim of some jumped up Lord who'd spend more time avoiding battles than taking part in them.

As the wind and screams died down, Arya hoped any soldiers who'd helped with the sacrifices were caught up in the fire. Burnt and scarred. Not killed. Better they suffered and lived with the pain and scars. Then they would see the truth of what their Lord of Light stood for.

While they might stand by and honour those innocents destined to be noble sacrifices for a greater cause, Arya doubted any who watched would offer to change places so they could be closer to their god.

Just before the moon vanished once again, there was a glint of something white among the stacks of wood and branches being piled for another horrifying sacrifice. Stooping, Arya retrieved the small item that fit in her palm and on examination realised it was a tiny bone. Most likely, one of a small child. For a moment Arya felt physically sick at the thought of an innocent child writhing in agony and terror as flames seared its smooth flesh. She wanted to storm the castle there and then; find the disgusting Lord so she could tear him apart and all those who followed him.

Swallowing back the bile that had formed in the back of her throat, Arya heard soldiers marching with a quick step and was brought her back to her senses. They were approaching the set of stones stairs which would bring them onto the courtyard.

"I can't see anything." She heard a rasping breath of one of the soldiers. They were almost at a jog. "Are you sure this isn't a wild goose chase?"

"The Lord is sure he saw something." The second voice was gruffer but sounded more in control of his breathing. "Someone moving among the pyres."

"All that's going on in the town, and he's got us searching piles of wood."

"Quiet you idiot," the gruff soldier hissed. "If anyone hears you speak of our master that way, you'll be the next sacrifice."

His companion offered no reply as they hurried up the steps to the raised part of the courtyard Arya was standing in. With little time to move, and unsure of an escape route, Arya eased herself between the thicker logs and branches making up the pyre closest to her. As the soldiers split up as they searched the courtyard, she buried herself as deep as she could before curling herself into a ball.

Holding her breath, she heard one of the soldier's tramp right up to her bonfire. He prodded it a few times before moving on. Arya let go of her breath but kept it steady so as not to move any of the wood around her as she still listened for the guards.

At first, she heard them talking in the distance. But just as she thought they might be leaving the voices became louder until she once again the footsteps sounded only a few yards away.

"We've to stay here for the rest of the night?" It was the first guard with the rasping voice who spoke and sounded pissed off he was going to be out all night.

"It's what the Lord commands. You know how he feels about these woodpiles. They're a sacred homage to the Lord of Light."

"Aye well, we should light this one and cook us up some food and drink while we wait. Or will the Lord of Light provide."

"What did I tell you?" The gruff one growled. "Watch your fucking tongue."

"Oh come on they can't even see us from the castle. I've brought a little wine and some weed. At least let's have a smoke."

"Aye go on then." The gruff one said after a hesitation. "But one of us has to be visible sometimes. The Lord has eyes everywhere."

Arya felt her hope of an easy escape drain as she heard the flint being struck so they could light their pipes. She just hoped they weren't idiot enough to set the pyre on fire with her still in it. Attacking the soldiers would be impossible. Arya was so embedded among the wood that any noise she would make trying to break out would have them ready and waiting.

All she could do was try to sit it out and hope they left before morning.