Chapter Forty-Seven

For the next two weeks, I started feeling stronger and stronger. Simmons still hadn't let me out of bed (although I'd had several unsuccessful escape attempts), but I was coping. Part of the reason I hadn't gone stir-crazy yet was Grant, who hardly left my side, not even to sleep. At first he slept in the chair, but once my more extreme tubes and wires were removed, I moved over and we shared the hospital bed. I felt immediately better when I was curled up next to him, tucked into his side.

Skye's recovery (and escape attempts) were going at about the same pace mine were, which gave us plenty to talk about over video chat. We'd tried a couple joint-escape attempts, with one of us serving as a distraction for Simmons while the other made a break for it, but nothing was working.

The team was pretty laser-focused on Skye and I, and it felt like Coulson was drifting away, until we finally got a new assignment. I was so excited, especially since we were supposed to be checking out Asguardian energy signatures.

At least, I was excited until Simmons told me I couldn't take part.

"Simmons, come on!" I protested, "Asguardians!"

"No! And that's final!"

"But I'm feeling so much better!" I yelled, trying to get her to listen as she walked out the door, completely ignoring me. Whatever.

I quickly dialed up Skye on video chat.

"Hey," I said once she'd picked up.

"Hey."

"Did you hear about the Asguardian stuff?"

"Yeah. For a shining moment I got excited before Doctor Simmons crushed my hopes and dreams."

"Same."

"You think we'd be able to escape once she's gone?"

"Doubt it. I'd be willing to be money that she's found a way to lock the doors on the pods."

"Damn, I bet you're right."

"Yeah. She's not going to be able to stop me from finally walking around the pod, though."

"Or so you think. Who knows, maybe she's got some magical science device that keeps our feet from touching the ground."

"Oh boy, don't give her ideas!" I said, laughing, "Honestly though, if that's the case, I'm going to jump on the bed just to spite her."

"Ooh, I like that idea. Poor Simmons."

"I know. She means well, and she's good at her job, but this bed arrest is killing me."

"Yeah. If it's not lifted in the next couple days, I'm fighting my way out. You with me?"

"I'm with you!"

"We can-- oh shoot, here she comes! We'll plan later!" said Skye, hustling to turn off the video chat.

"Sounds like a plan! Don't let anything slip!"

Skye nodded furtively before ending the call. I set the phone back down, then cracked open my book. I had been tearing though my TBR list, since I didn't have much else to do.

It was several hours before the team got back, with Sif the Asguardian warrior no less. They had a meeting in the lab, which I couldn't attend, but Grant caught me up on the whole Lorelei thing. I didn't want him to go.

"You heard Sif, Grant! Men are week! I want to be there to watch your back!"

"You know you can't be. And I'll be fine."

"No! Grant, I don't like this. I hate not being able to back you up. We're supposed to be working together as a team."

"The rest of the team will be there."