43 || Ocean and Shore

content; first time , making love , nsfw armin arlert x reader  this chapter can be skipped as it is heavy with feelings.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ༶•┈┈⛧┈〄┈⛧┈┈•༶ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Those who loved in this cruel world would be the ones who suffered the most.

You recalled the day when you first heard those words. With blades on both hands and sweat covering your skin, you pressed your back against the nearest chimney, listening to the conversation between Bertolt and Armin. The two continued to argue, but you couldn't grasp any other words that were said afterwards.

With Bertolt, you kept being reminded that love was something that couldn't stand in the way of the mission. It was unfortunate, he said. Trying to see it through, only to say nothing when farewell was supposed to be uttered. Funny how love worked in this world.

You needed reassurance that the two of you would make it out together, and he used to give it. But after a while, a slight hesitation arose, as if he already knew and foreseen how there was no you and him in the future.

And back then in Shiganshina was the time you had to close that one chapter of your life.

After him, you thought that was it. You wouldn't let yourself fall again. Just like he said, there was no space for love in the years you had left, no time for you to kiss and adore someone. You even discarded the warm feeling that appeared when you were around your best friend, diminishing it into nothing more than platonic love.

However, Armin Arlert just had to give himself to you. He offered you his hand, not expecting you to take it, but you did. And you did so much more than just holding his hand. You squeezed and twirled it around, warming him up when the day was cold, kissing the back of it and gently tracing his palm.

You experienced all kinds of love, but this one you shared with Armin felt like it would last for a long time, even after your death. Or if it was possible, perhaps, in another life where there was no titan on earth. Maybe it was him who you would spend your day with until the two of you were grey and old.

Armin was aware of your lifespan. His logic knew he couldn't even have you for more than five years. And yet, he always believed otherwise, dreaming of a better tomorrow you couldn't even see. That was the difference between him and your past lover.

With him, he actually saw you in a distant future. He saw you sitting on the balcony, with two cups of iced chamomile tea, waiting for him to join you. The breeze was humid compared to the house in Shiganshina. But he loved it there as the first thing he got to look at was the waves colliding with one another and — you.

No matter how he imagined his life would turn out, you were always going to be there. Whether as a foe or an ally, friend or lover, your face was the first thing that transpired in his mind.

His fingertips traced the soft skin of your cheeks. It was cold, caused by the warm water that remained there as it was exposed to the room's low temperature. He didn't find disgust in your eyes, just a bit of confusion as if you were trying to process his words just now.

And that was exactly what you were doing. You were debating what you should say, especially since he just thought about making love with you. It was supposed to be a common word in a relationship, right? But you were still foreign to it, not even bothering to learn much because you believed you would never do it with anyone.

That was where you were wrong. You never thought you would let yourself head over heels for him, or anyone else again after the end of your beautiful yet messy relationship with Bertolt. And yet, Armin really showed you how it was to be normal.