26 || Sensibilities

You adored the woods. To stay there for hours and let the fallen leaves touch your skin. Back then, when you were still in the Cadet Corps, you often flew towards the rows of oak trees near the titan training area. Whenever you stayed there, you felt like there was nothing ‌you should be worried about.

The duty that chained you, the burden you held on your shoulders, everything just dissipated for the few minutes you spent there.

You claimed a spot for yourself near the cliff. Liking it there since the breeze was much stronger compared to the titan training area. Sure, it took more time to get there, but to lie down underneath those oak trees was worth the sweat. You would bask yourself there, just taking a nap for an hour or two before dinner.

For an entire year, it became your sanctuary. You were the only one who knew about that place. Until Marco decided to follow you out of worry. Your eyes were closed, already in a trance as you waited for your brain to let you sleep. But before you could drift towards the dreamland, you heard a snap of the wood coming from the training ground.

"Whoa, whoa, it's just me, (Y/n)."

You wanted to chuckle at the memory. How you were practically preparing your pocket knife since a lingering fear that someone found out about your secret haunted the back of your mind. But when a tuft of raven hair popped into view, with his orbs dilated at the stance you were in, you immediately withdrew the small weapon. Surely you didn't expect your best friend to catch up with you. Not after a year did he do nothing.

The wariness you felt for a moment was replaced with relief. Marco Bott was someone you cherished from the day he approached you, always radiating kindness as he greeted you after hand-to-hand combat. He was unlike anyone you ever knew before. A bit timid, but once you acknowledged his presence, he immediately bombarded you with questions.

It was refreshing‌ and the turning point that pulled you towards a life full of adoration. Ever since the first week, some of their cadets had their eyes on you. Mainly because you could be ‌one of the strongest women in the rank, but not as cold as the other two. At first, no one tried to strike a conversation with you, not knowing just yet how you were going to act around strangers.

But when they saw Marco had his hips attached to you after training, they could conclude you were a warm person.

He was the one who started it, who made you want to know more of them. The dreams each cadet had, the things they wanted to achieve in this life, their fear and weaknesses, each trait they possessed, you loved to get to know different ‌people. You told yourself that it was for gathering intel. You said that too at Reiner when he held the first meeting and warned you about your action.

You just shrugged at him, saying things like you had set your own boundaries, but oh, you didn't understand yourself as the warriors knew you. A delicate person, someone who despised war, blood, and killing another human being much more than them.

Someone with a privilege like you needed twice their time to get used to all the above. And you were also stubborn. You felt like you had taken the right path to get to know these island devils personally.

As a warrior, you knew it wasn't. You tortured yourself with guilt every time you saw someone you cherished died in front of you, and every time it happened, you considered that as a way to redeem the sin you had in the first place. But you fully knew that wasn't the case. You just didn't want to hear "I told you so" from the warriors when they found you struggling to keep your sanity at bay.

"Captain, we got all the supplies you asked for." Jean's voice snapped you from your thought, and you immediately whipped your head to face him. Armin and Mikasa were right behind his tall figure, just back from buying some food and any other important items that the captain ordered them to get before. "Oh, and the Military Police handing these out."