19 || Unbreakable Chain

Home, that was what urged him to fight for his life. For once, he took initiative by himself, since he knew he couldn't survive if he didn't make up his mind in a situation like this. He stabbed the titan who almost got Reiner, calming himself down when death was knocking on his door, and he was also ready to transform, even if that meant he would be the only survivor.

He couldn't die, not yet, not when he hadn't told his father that he had become a son that his old man could be proud of, that he was one hero for the Subjects of Ymir in Marley. Yes, he knew it wasn't his time to die. Not when he too — already dreamed of a future where he could make it back home with his lover, safe and sound as people praised their names.

When he finally landed his feet on the ground, his eyes immediately roamed around the environment. He saw how Christa blindly tried to help Ymir (who came out to be a titan, the same one who ate Marcel five years ago), but right now, the only thing that he had in mind was a scheme to get both the jaw titan and the attack titan.

He didn't even bat his eyes when he saw a titan peeking from behind the rubble where Christa headed to. Its creepy look stared at the blonde female, so close to eating her petite body alive. Reiner and Connie were shouting at her. The soldier even jogged towards her figure, hoping he could get her out of the way.

Bertolt stayed still in his place, not because he was being a jerk and didn't care about her life (although, maybe that was one case, since he never let himself get attached to these island devils from the start). He didn't move from his place because he could hear the manoeuvring gear from where he stood, meaning that help had arrived.

Raven coloured hair adorned the sky as it flew with its wings. The vertical gear that made the humanity within the walls knew how it felt to be a bird. One by one, another soldier comes in, slashing their blades right on the titans' nape skilfully. He remembered the day he knew how advanced the civilization was on this cursed island, how these people tried to do their best to survive the attack of the titans.

It was a mesmerising sight to see how high humanity willing was in a matter of survival. They were ready to face whatever hell that this world had thrown at them, the hell that was caused by his nation. Reiner once cursed about this, saying how their mission would be so much more complicated since these devils ended up having a brain.

But Bertolt never cared about that. What he knew was how he could act as if he always belonged here, learning how to live with them, getting to know their tactics while still knowing his boundaries. He knew how dangerous it was for someone when they fell too deep into their role, so from the start, he already decided that he would step away from the spotlight.

Five years passed, he could proudly announce that he must have been the only sane warrior left in their team. Annie was now having a soft spot for a few people, hesitating to kill their so-called friends from the 104th Cadet Corps. Reiner lived as if he had two identities, the warrior side where he usually focused on their task only, and the soldier side where the others knew him as a dependable big brother.

Then, of course, there was you. Even when you tried not to get too attached to these people, they were going to swarm over you. You were fascinating. Your existence was like the sweetest honey in the world since anyone often found themselves wanting to get closer to you. Fully conscious, he knew he was one of those people.

You were loyal to anyone who you considered friends and comrades, and before the mission, that place fully belonged to the warriors. But five years living in Paradis had changed that. Sasha, Mikasa, Jean, Connie, Marco, Armin, Mrs Keller — he knew the names of the people you would sacrifice yourself to for them. And truthfully, he knew there was no way to convert you back.