Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 85

Time Elapsed: 03:23:57

The room Jaema took them to was much like the first one. There was a stove in the center to warm the room and artful tapestries hung on the walls. On the far wall, a sliding door had been opened, revealing a large outdoor balcony.

That was rather pointless, in Severance's opinion, because all it did was let in cold air and made the little stove have to work harder. He folded his arms and tried not to shiver.

There was a single man waiting for them. He sat cross-legged on a cushion near the stove, his eyes closed. Despite the chill in the air, he wore only a short gray robe and flowing pants. His feet were bare.

"Linjao," Jaema said.

Severance watched as the man looked up, his handsome features immediately creasing into a welcoming smile.

"Jaema, my dear. It's good to see you."

"You as well." Jaema's small smile fully blossomed, growing warmer and more open.

Severance looked between them, curious. It was obvious that Linjao was old enough to be her father, so he wondered about their relationship. Was he her teacher? Or maybe he was her father, for all he knew.

Linjao Einvol rose and offered a small bow. "Welcome, friends."

+1 Wisdom

Jaema laughed softly. "I haven't even introduced them yet."

"It doesn't matter. You've brought them to me, so they must be friends." Linjao's eyes crinkled at the corners. "Though an introduction would be in order."

"Then an introduction you shall have." She gestured to Severance first. "This is Sev of the Veiled. The one known as Awesome Dude calls him friend. It was he who brought them here."

Lips twitching, Severance struggled a bit at hearing the words 'Awesome Dude' coming from Jaema's mouth. It was really strange to hear other people say it, especially if they were not players. He managed to keep his composure though.

"Hi," he returned the greeting. "It's Severance, actually, but I guess Sev is okay."

Linjao's eye-crinkles deepened. "Hello, young man."

Not Sev or Severance, but young man. It made Severance twitch.

"And this is... Jack, I believe?" Jaema looked to the cold-faced tank.

Jack gave a sharp nod. "Jack is fine. I'm with the Academy."

"I see." Linjao gestured to the few cushions on the floor. "Please, take a seat. Jaema, will you bring us some tea, please?"

"Of course." Without hesitation, Jaema left them alone with the Champion's Head.

With nothing else to do, Severance chose a soft blue cushion and settled into it. The heat from the stove felt absolutely wonderful, and he subtly scooted his cushion a few inches closer.

After a moment's pause, Jack settled down beside Severance. He removed his sheathed sword and set it before himself, within easy reach. He sat rigidly, golden eyes sharp like a hawk's.

Linjao didn't seem to mind Jack's frosty behavior. In fact, he paid very little attention to the tank. He watched Severance over the stove instead.

"So," he said, "you are of the Veiled."

That simple statement, said so casually, raised a red flag. Yet it was hard to be alarmed when Linjao was so relaxed, the environment so warm and welcoming. Despite reason telling him to be wary, Severance could feel no threat.