13-♫- Field Trip

♫-Chapter-13

            “Just stay there,” Teegan waves at me frantically, trying to shut the door.

            “Why?” I protest, slapping his hand away and reach for the doorknob.

            “Because you trust me and you care enough for me to stay in this room,” Teegan argues, pushing me gently back into the room.

            My arms flop to my sides and I glare at Teegan, his midnight hair ruffled and messed up to perfection.

           Taking my silence to his advantage, Teegan throws me a dazzling smile, waves a gesture that means stay put, and then slams the door.

            Hurried footsteps ring out through the house and I flop onto the bed, twirling a piece of hair between my fingers, the curiosity killing me.

            What was he doing that I needed to stay in my room- at my own house too?

            Tapping my fingers impatiently, time seems to stretch out slowly like molasses dripping every hour.

            After ten excruciating minutes, I reach for my phone and dial my father phone number, waiting patiently for the phone to connect.

            A couple moments later, I hear the static background and my father gruff, low voice.

            “John Cadence.”

            “…Daddy?” I ask tentatively, biting my lip nervously.

            I haven’t called him in that forever.

            “What do you need cupcake,” my father asks, his voice slightly irritated. “I’m on the way to a meeting right now.”

            I stare sadly at the way, fumbling with a stray pencil between my fingers to keep me preoccupied.

            “O-oh, I thought- we haven’t talked for a while- and I just thought-“

            “Listen sweetie, I’ve got to go, but here is your mother-“ and with that, I hear a muffled exchange of words and more static before I hear my mother’s voice.

            “Mom?” I ask.

            “Aria? Oh good, it is you. Listen sweetie, we have to go soon but I’m glad you called.”

            I pause. “Why?”

            My mom laughs and I remain just as confused as ever, since when did she ever want me to call?

            “I got a call from your teacher saying you and your class was going on a field trip to the beach and-“

            “Wait, mom. What are you talking about?” I force out, trying to cut off her flow of words.

            “Your teacher called-“

            “I know,” I say impatiently.

            “He told me your class was leaving late today or so to go to the beach…” My mother says slightly annoyed. “No, I don’t want coffee,” she says to someone, probably her secretary.

            “Do you know the name of the teacher?” I ask patiently, trying to be respectable.

            “Hm… Nope, not even a last name my dear,” My erratic mother laughs.