nineteen. selfish

You sit in silence with your hand over your mouth. Staring down at the steel table, your brows threaded together and eyes unblinking. There is a tense silence in the air and you exhale shakily while dropping your hand. Baxter looks at you with wide and unblinking eyes behind circular frames. After he explained everything to you in a stuttering and anxious manner you're left silent on the seat inside his lab.

The pain is no longer in your shoulder blades and you're no longer crying. Instead you sit with a thoughtful expression on your face as Baxter tries not to piss himself just across from you.

It's been a long silence for a half-hour after Baxter told you how Kenneth threatened to burn down Sir Pentious's lair with him and Baxter tied up inside of it. Of course fire can't kill them but Kenneth promised he would finish it himself. Now there's one thing left to be said and you sigh softly before uttering it.

"I'm not going to tell anyone."

Baxter eyes widen—if that's even possible—and he sits up. "What you—"

When you put your hand up he stops immediately and you shake your head. Looking to Baxter you wear a hurt expression across your features. "I'm not telling anyone because I—you two didn't have a choice. But we're not friends anymore, Baxter."

"Y/N...I swear—"

"You could have warned me when you saw me.",you interrupt him while standing up and shaking your head. Swallowing hard you fight off the urge to cry for the trillionth time since your arrival at the Happy Hotel. Baxter flinches when you say this and you lick your lips, exhaling shakily through your nose.

Walking over to him, Baxter expects the worse. But instead you bend down and plant a gentle kiss against his cheek. "I'm disappointed in you, Baxter...",you say in a shaky manner. Baxter's heart aches when you turn away and leave him alone—emotionally and physically.

When you leave Baxter's lab you lean against the corridor wall for a few moments to try and compose yourself. You breathe in and out deeply, placing a hand over your eyes. Hearing the others cheering and celebrating in the lobby over Kenneth's erasure, you don't want to dampen the mood so you take just a few moments to yourself.

Once ready you walk out and walk towards the others with a smile across your lips. "Hey where's Baxter?",Charlie asks with a smile across her lips.

"Oh you know him.",you say with a dismissive wave. Your mood elevates when Alastor discreetly grabs the back of your dress and gently tugs you beside him. With a glimpse you smile at him and he smiles down at you, his hand resting on the small of your back with his other holding a glass of liquor.

Seeing Alastor smile down at you makes your sour mood and betrayal falter away completely. Looking into those crimson eyes you feel okay, you feel safe knowing that if everyone leaves you or betrays you—one will always be by your side no matter what. You feel at peace, content and happy while looking at Alastor.

Alastor looks to you as you turn away and begin to converse with the others. Angel Dust telling everyone about how you were during the party he took you too. But Angel's voice get's distant when Alastor notices...glitter? No. It's something shimmering along the curve if your neck.

When the white shimmer spreads his eyes widen at the sight of a natural patch of skin tone spreading. With a hike in his breath he turns you towards him and puts his hand against your neck. "Alastor? What's the matter?",your soft voice echoes in his skull. When he touches the patch of normal skin a dark shimmer reverts it back to its demonic color.

He swallows hard. He did not imagine that.

Your soft hand against his cheek snaps him out of his racing mind. He blinks back softly to meet your demonic eyes. "Alastor?",you say his name is a quizzical manner while searching his crimson eyes,"What's wrong?" The concern across your face is immense and your other hand places over his that's against the curve of your neck.