Michael

Amber's POV

I was exhausted but too happy to care. This job meant so much to me.

The bistro was nonstop busy. People have been coming in and out like crazy. Not just the ones staying at the BnB, but also folks from around our town, out of town, folks working here, folks from the near hospital, and even soldiers from the Marine Base just out of town.

It was so crazy. It kept me busy all day.

It was near 11:30 when dad sent me a text.

Though most jobs require us to keep our phones in our locker rooms, our boss requested we kept our phones on us at all times in case of an emergency, or in case a supervisor needed to get in contact with us.

Dad sent me a text near that time, and since I was new here, I figured I would be the last to get my break. I was surprised when my supervisor Pascal sent me a text to tell me to take a half-hour break at noon.

I sent dad a reply in return letting him know I had a half-hour break at noon and he responded telling me he'd be here then.

I was so excited to spend more time with him, now that I was in this job. I rarely get to see him. He always comes home early, but because of my cheer practice, he's usually ready for bed by the time I get home.

There were so many activities going on. Cooks moving about, chopping, prepping, simmering, you name it. Just the smell of food was making my stomach grumble.

At about ten minutes to noon, one of the girls that were working here came up to me.

"Hey, Amber?" I turned to face her with a smile.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Hey, there are two guys out on the terrace saying they're waiting for you. There's not much time left to noon, do you want to take your break now, so you can go sit by them?" The young waitress suggested.

I thought about it for a second, but I didn't want to be fired for taking advantage of Pascal, he had been such a good boss.

"I'm, it's ok. There are only a few more minutes, they can wait for me. But-" I called out to her as she got ready to leave back to the lobby.

"Would you mind telling them to start ordering without me? I'll be there shortly." I asked, making her nod and smile in agreement.

"Yeah, of course. Did you want me to place an order for you? This way you don't have to waste time waiting on your food when your break begins. Oh, may I suggest the half and half lunch duo? You can choose a sandwich with soup or salad." She smiled with her eyes widened.

"Oh, sure. That would be nice. Thank you." I responded a little worried. I didn't have much money on me. I'd have to ask dad for some cash.

"Ok, great. What kind of soup and sandwich did you want to get? My favorite is the black forest ham sandwich, with the potato soup, it's the perfect combo."

"That sounds great, I'll do that. Oh, and-" I added as I began to make my way to the door, picking up my next order to bring it to my customer.

"Thanks again, umm-" I suddenly felt foolish. I had no idea what her name was. She was such a good waitress, though she was much younger than me.  She easily looked two or three years younger.

"Blair. Call me Blair, I'm new in this town as well. My dad just got married to a lady named Cynthia. I'm starting high school this Monday coming up. I was homeschooled these past three months while dad settled his marriage." She added.

Boy, it seemed everyone was thinking of marriage lately. Carter's mom had just gotten married as well. Though, I didn't bother going to her wedding since Carter and I weren't exactly serious.

The whole process of her mom's marriage had him on edge. I think it was a major reason why he was always in a bad mood.

"Ok. Thanks, Blair. See around."

"Bye." She answered with a smile and walked towards the cooks.

I went over to my designated table and placed the plates down quickly, smiling at the two soldiers waiting for their food. They smiled back and began to eat.

After I came back and turned in two more orders, Mr.Pascal came by and gestured towards me.

"Yes, sir," I answered as I sprinted towards him quickly.

"Amber, go ahead and take your break. After your half hour is done, you and Blair come by my office so you can go over the details for the upcoming events with me." He said and continued to write on a clipboard he held in his hand.

"Umm, yes sir. Thank you." I replied, holding my hands with my fingers knitted in front of me.

He looked up towards me and smiled, turning on his heel and walking away. I took in a deep breath and puffed my cheeks as I exhaled.

I looked over towards the terrace and saw dad sitting at a far table. The guy next to him had his back towards me. He wore a plaid blue shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

"Hey, Amber," Blair called out smiling.

I turned quickly and saw her with plates in her hands.

"Wow, let me help you with those," I suggested as she walked with full hands.

"No-no. They're for you and your guests. Go and have a seat. I'll be right behind you." She said, but I smiled and took a few plates from her, carrying them along as we walked out together.

One of the waiters saw us merging towards the door leading to the terrace and was kind enough to open the door for us, which worked n our behalf since we both had full hands. "Thanks, Tim." Blair thanked him making him grin, exposing his pearly whites and deep dimples.

"No problem." He responds.

I smiled and tapped her with my elbow, leaning into her ear, "I think Tim has the hots for you Blair." I suggested making her eyes avert towards me.

"Who? Tim? No, he's dating my friend, Melissa. She goes to Ridley High. They've been dating for almost three years. He's just being nice because he knows she's my friend." She smiles and begins to place the plates down before my dad and his guest.

"Thank you. Oh, Amber! Mike this is my daughter. Honey, come to say hi to my buddy Mike." Dad calls out to me as I came by with the other plates full of food.

I smiled and made my way to place the plates down. I whipped my hands on my black apron and extended my arm out to shake hands with him.

"Hi, nice to meet- uh," I suddenly forgot my name, or how to speak.

I expected to see an older man around Dad's age. Instead, there was a guy who looked no older than me. And by God, he was hot. Unruly dark hair, with chocolate eyes that seemed to be trying to read my soul. He was a sight.

His hands rested with elbows on the table and fingers knitted together under his chin.

He stood up and reached out to shake my hands with a bright smile that made me want to almost melt

"Hi, nice to finally meet you, Amber. My name is Michael. Michael Lawley."

And this is when I finally understood the saying, 'love at first sight.' Could it truly be possible? Boy, he really is good-looking. But I guess, only time will tell.

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨