28 - Matt

Well I didn't cry, when Old Yeller died. At least not in front of my friends.

Monday after school, Sal and I dread having to go to practice knowing that Hayden and his crew will be waiting for us in the locker room. We knew we'd be in trouble when we showed up to lunch and half the cafeteria was glaring at us as we walked to our table. And then there were the whispers and the snickers. The condescending laughs and cheap jokes. It was brutal.

And it's only going to get worse.

With nothing left to lose, I take a step towards the locker room door. I reach for the handle, but Sal grabs my shirt sleeve and pulls me back.

"Hey, before we go in, I should tell you something."

Sal looks nervous, guilty even.

"What is it?"

He chews his bottom lip and stalls. My stomach turns. He did something. Something he shouldn't have. And I think I know what it is.

"Ruthie and I kissed after the dance."

Dammit, I think. For the first time, probably ever, I hate that I'm right.

"Does Hayden know?"

"Yeah. The guilt got to her and she told him this morning."

I let out a heavy sigh as my whole body deflates in concession to my fate. Before, Hayden was a jealous, irrational boyfriend scared of a harmless friendship between his girlfriend and her younger co-worker. But now, his suspicions are confirmed. Sal really is out for his girl, and he's got the ammunition and justification he needs to hate us even more.

"Look, man, I'm really sorry..."

I shake my head at Sal's apology. I don't want that from him. I'm not disappointed in him or mad or anything like that. Yeah, it sucks that Hayden's going to make our life a living hell. But Sal's my friend and I can sympathize with him. I know what it's like to lose all rational thought at even the slightest chance to get closer to a girl you like. Was it wrong of him to kiss another guy's girlfriend? Absolutely. Would I have been strong enough to walk away if it were me? No, probably not.

"Nah, man.You don't need to say you're sorry. It's cool. I get it. I know how much you like her. She gave you an opening, and you took it. It's a hard thing to say no to. Nothing we can do now but take it on the chin."

"Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right," Sal says. "Still. I wish I'd kept you out of it."

At that, I have to laugh. Sal didn't involve me in anything. I involved myself. Stuck my nose where it didn't belong and now I have to deal with it.

"It's not your fault. I was looking for a fight and I got it."

"I mean, if you want to take the blame, it's all yours, man. I'm happy to let you have it."

Sal cracks a smile and I roll my eyes and laugh. Leave it to Sal to make a joke in the face of our impending doom.

"Let's just get this over with."

I pull open the door and we walk in. The room goes completely silent. The friendly pre-practice banter turns to tense, deadly stares on the turn of a dime.

Sal and I freeze and hold our breath. Part of me was expecting them to shoot first, ask questions later, but they don't make a move. Instead, they eye us up with their hands on their holsters, waiting for the go ahead from Dear Leader.

We look to each other and telepathically agree the best path is the path of least resistance. We put our heads down, avoid all eye contact and head straight to our lockers. My fingers wrap around my combination lock. I concentrate on the spinning numbers, taking extra care not to look up or make any sudden movements.