Revelation

Wolf was good company when he wasn't at school or home with his family. Conner would pet him for a while - Wolf pretended not to like at first, but he really did - and then feed him, walk through the little forest behind the mountain, letting him sniff all he wanted and mark the territory with his smell and such. It was nice, but he wishes he could take him home and live with him there.

He had told Madine about his new pet the day he brought him, and she was happy for him, but since the fiasco with the Tornados, she seemed off. Clark noticed it too. She smiled like usual, she helped home, she helped him get used to the little odd things about school. But something in her smiles was forced. Something in her demeanor was always haunting the back of his mind and he couldn't shake it.

Worst of all, he couldn't talk to anyone about what was troubling him, because his friends didn't know about her and he couldn't tell them. He had found a new sympathy for Robin not being able to tell his secret identity.

And then it clicked. Robin! He knew her! He could talk about his worries with him! And maybe even understand what was happening. From what he had gathered, they have been known each other for a while and were friends, too.

So that was how, three days after the whole thing, Conner found himself expecting Robin in the Cave, having coming there much sooner than usual from school. He sent a message to Robin's special phone - a hero one, untraceable, that he used to text and call the Team sometimes - telling him he wanted to talk to him.

"Kinda stuck on homework, bro. But I think I can manage a little rest. Let me check if I can go out. - R."

He waited for a response for another ten minutes, and then got:

"Can do it, but maybe it's better if we talk somewhere else? Meet me here in Gotham. Dora's Gums & Ice Parlor downtown. There's a zeta on an alley very close. I'll be there in five minutes. - R."

He sent the coordinates to the zeta next, and Conner pet Wolf and went to the tubes, appearing in a very busy street in what was clearly Gotham. He got out of the alley and looked around, seeing the place Robin told him very close. He walked there, putting his glasses on his face - Madine had thrown a fit when he got out with her without them. He was trying to remember to use it when not around the Team or his family.

He got into the diner, which was basically filled with sweets and, like the name suggested, an ice cream fridge. It had small tables scattered around, and he went to the most distant one, but one he could see the front of the diner, and sat. He could order something when Robin showed up.

It was like he had summoned him. Robin walked into the store in civilian clothes and his usual sunglasses, and went straight to him, which made Conner think that he was looking before he got in.

He sat in front of him with a smile.

"I was dying to ditch that assignment. Thanks for the excuse." He smirked.

Conner smiled a little, and then Robin frowned.

"What's wrong? What did you want to talk about?"

He looked around, and then...

"Don't you want to order something first?" he asked.

Robin looked to the balcony and waved his hand. A waiter came to their table. His friend asked for a tuna sandwich and a coke. Conner looked through the menu and asked for a cheeseburger with fries and a coke. The waiter got out, and then Robin resumed their chat.

"So, want to tell me now?"

Conner sighed.

"It's about Madine, actually. And I figured you would be the only one who I could talk to about her."