Chapter Eleven

Gunnar stands to hold his hand out to Victoria. He knows how to handle kids when they talk about the things that upset them about their lives, but with her, he is in uncharted territory. He just hopes that this next thing will give her a smile that makes him weak in the knees.

"Come on, let's go,"

She takes my hand and Gunnar guides her through the building. He shows her a few things he incorporated over the past few years. Pictures of the kids who went off to college, kids in events hosted by different businesses. Milestones with the business birthdays. Just before they get to the gym doors, Gunnar stops them and takes her hands in his.

"Are you ready for this?"

"What?" she responds confused.

Gunnar smiles and let's go pushing the doors to the gym open. It's filled with kids and a few adults standing around waiting for Gunnar. Adults are setting up for...

"DODGEBALL?!" Victoria yells excitedly.

She is smiling and laughing. A reaction that Gunnar had hoped for.

"Alright, alright kids! Our fearless leader is here with a guest and since its dodgeball day I say we make them our team captains!" Josh states.

Everyone screams and yells, "YES!"

"Ok, kids this is Victoria. Watch out she is a cheater!" Gunnar jokes.

"Says the loser!" She responds. The whole gym cheers in the competition.

Gunnar nods his head pointing at her as he walks away. "It's on!"

Victoria turns to Austin calling him over, "Austin, you ready to kick some fearless leaders butt?"

He laughs hard, "Let's do it!"

The teams are split up and Gunnar watches how effortlessly she looks in this setting. She looks carefree and happy. Whatever was on her mind when she came to the office is sliding to the side for the moment and she is able to just be free. He realizes that he never knew this side of her and couldn't be more in love. This carefree smile she has gives him a high as he has never felt before.

The game starts and everyone is laughing and screaming. It's invigorating. People are going out left and right. After about 45 minutes it is down to Gunnar, Josh, two other kids for his team and Victoria, and Austin on the other team. They have really made a good team and Austin looks like a weight has been lifted after this morning.

Austin throws the ball towards Gunnar and he moves to get out of the way. As he moves a ball hits his feet and takes him out. Falling to the ground hard causing the gym to erupt in laughter.

"Out!" Victoria yells in victory. then..."AAAAAHHH NO! Dang it!" she says laughing.

"Out!" Josh yells as he throws his arms up. "AH! Crap! Austin!"

"Out! Bye Josh!" Austin laughs.

The rest of the adults hobble off the court laughing. Gunnar grabs and pulls Victoria towards him. "You owe me a bag of ice!" He laughs.

"The way you fell?! I am so sorry but that was funny!" She says. "In all seriousness are you hurt?"

"Bruised ego, I won't survive," Gunnar says

"Awww, I'll make it up to you," She rubs his chest.

Gunnar leans down and whispers in her ear, "Oh baby, I know you will make it up to me,"

He tries to nibble on her ear but she pulls away. Looking back he can see her face is bright red. He stands up straight in victory. They sit and watch the kids play for a little while longer and Victoria stays close to Gunnar the entire afternoon.