2.25. Family

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Some of the most poisonous people

Come disguised as family and friends

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Ina!"

Running out of breath, I rushed to the figure laying beside Seojoon on the ground with all the energy left in me. Dropping to my knees, I held Namjoon's face and gasped at how cold he was.

"He's breathing!" Seojoon shouted in surprise and I nodded vigorously, feeling beyond relieved.

My vision blurred and I was thrown to the ground when something hard struck my head with a sharp blow, nearly knocking me out. I looked up to find Commissioner Kwon smirking down at me, holding a thick wooden plank.

"Aw, did I hit too hard? I was just trying to give you brain damage."

Panting, I turned to Seojoon with my face scrunched in pain. "H-Help."

He suddenly chuckled devilishly, visibly amused, and tilted his head at me as if taunting me. "Give me one good reason why I should."

My heart dropped. "W-What?"

I couldn't believe it. But a dreadful thought suddenly filled my head, petrifying me. It couldn't possibly be... Was it him all this time? His sudden change of demeanor was inexplicable.

My grinning cousin walked over Namjoon to squat next to me and moved the strands of hair away from my face.

"Dearest Ina..." He sighed, shaking his head. "Ina. Ina. Ina. Why would you do something so useless? You should have just stayed away from all this. Is this for Jungkook?"

Fighting to draw a breath, I widened my eyes. "You... Did you kill him...? Did you kill everyone?!"

"Ina!"

My breath was knocked out of my lungs hearing his voice — the voice I was hoping that I would never hear again for his sake. Breathing heavily, I snapped my head to his direction despite the throbbing pain that worsened each second. Tears brimmed my eyes seeing Jungkook running towards me, panic etched in his features.

"No... Go away..."

"You kept him hidden?" Seojoon sighed with a short chuckle. "Whose side are you on? Your family and relatives? Or your replaceable husband?"

I whimpered watching Jungkook trying to fight off the commissioner and avoid the plank. He wasn't trained for something like this and his smaller build compared to the older man was putting him at a disadvantage, but I couldn't do anything. "Please stop."

"I will do anything to save our position at the top. Degrading education, embezzling money, destroying infrastructure, killing off people, anything," Seojoon continued, twirling a strand of my hair in his forefinger. "Don't worry, you won't remember anything when this is over with and all the evidence is destroyed. Just take us to your house."

I shook my head, glaring at him in disbelief. "You're supposed to be my family, how could you do this?! Is any of this humane?! Is any of this sane?! You even hurt your own brother!"

"This is nothing. I'm doing this for our family," he deadpanned, not even fazed the slightest. "Soon we'll use Ilhoon's memory machines and people will become our perfect puppets. Thanks to him, we can stay on top of this food chain."