Chapter 20: Noble Sacrifices bring Manly Men to Tears

"Alright listeners! Put your hands in the air, because it's almost time for the last round!" Present Mic announced as the first years walked back into the stadium. "But before that, good news for everyone who didn't make the finals! Since this is a Sports Festival, we've prepared some super fun side games that everyone can participate in!"

"Side games! Oh, those sound fun!" Kishi gushed from beside Kula. The two of them had found her wondering the halls earlier and refused to leave her side.

"We even brought in cheerleaders from America— hold up." He stopped, and Kula looked around to see what caught Mic's attention, a small golden blush appearing on her cheeks as she saw what it was. Girls from class 1-A were dressed in the same cheerleader outfits that the American cheerleaders were. "Looks like class 1-A is going full fan service!"

"They must of been tricked by some pervert." Mika said, crossing her arms before she grinned. "Though, I'm not complaining."

"Mika!" Kishi scolded.

Mika just shrugged as she let out a laugh. "Well, Whatever, the side games are about to start, right. I assume you're going to join us in the games, Kula."

"Nah, I think I'll skip those and wonder the stadium." Kula said, "I also want to work on some of my gadgets and retrieve my hover board prototype from the obstacle course."

"I gues it's up to you, but it really would of been fun if you played the side games with us!" Kishi said, "But Mika and I will just have to enjoy them for you!"

"Yeah... thanks." Kula said.

"Have fun competing in those little side games everyone! And after they're over, the 16 students from the top four teams will be ducking it out one-on-one in a tournament style fighting competition! I promise you're not gonna wanna miss these epic match-ups!"

"So it's a tournament this year?" Mika asked. "I was kinda hoping for a foam sword fighting match like last years, well, it won't matter since we didn't move on." She sighed.

"Oh, don't worry, Mika! There's always next year!" Kishi encouraged.

"Yeah, there is! And we'll get into the top four teams for sure!" Mika said, unable to resist the encouragement from Kishi.

"Come closer and draw lots to see who you're up against." Midnight said, cutting off all the chatter from the first years gathered in front of her. "Then enjoy the pleasure of the recreational games before we start. The 16 finalists have the option of participating in those activities or sitting out to prepare for battle. I'm sure you all want to conserve your stamina. I'll start wit the first place team."

"Um. Excuse me." A tailed teen said from a few feet in front of Kula. "Sorry, But I'm withdrawing."

Everyone around him gasped in surprise, and Kula was a bit surprised herself. She knew tat the festival held big opportunities for some of the students, and withdrawing from the finals most likely wasn't going to be good.

"It just wouldn't be right." The teen continued, "I barely even remember anything from the cavalry battle until the very end of it. I think it was that guy's quirk. I know this is a great opportunity. I wish I could take advantage of it, but my conscience won't let me."

Students around him were trying to convince him to change his mind, but the teen stubbornly stuck with his decision.

"Nirengeki Shoda from class 1-B. I think I should withdraw for the exact same reason. Regardless of how strong I am, this isn't how I wanted to get here."

"Listen to these guys! They're so manly!" Kirishima exclaimed, wiping his eyes as tears threatened to fall.

Kula couldn't help but slightly admire the two who refused to continue on, only slightly, though. She wasn't going to get all sappy just because some teens threw away opportunities, that just wasn't her style. Kishi on the other hand was holding back his tears.

"They're just so... so admirable." He squeaked out with a few sniffles.

"There. There, Ki. We don't want you crying a river on live television." Mika soothed, patting Kishi on the shoulder.

"Would that be so bad?" Kishi asked. "This... This is s-such a touching moment!"

"Kishi, weren't you just saying you were a Manly man just after the Calvary Battle?"

Kishi nodded, sniffling some more. "I am a manly... manly man!" He said.

"Well now, here's another weird turn of events" Present Mic announced, stopping their conversation.

"We'll have to see what Midnight has to say about all this— she is the one in charge." Eraser Head's muffled voice responded.

Kula turned her attention to the R-rated hero that was standing on the podium in front of the students, waiting for the heroes decision like all the other students around her.

"This sort of talk in incredibly naive, my boys. That turns me on! Shoda! Ojiro! You're withdrawn!"

"Did she just..." Kula started in disbelief.

"Say that it turned her on?" Mika finished, her tone similar to Kula's.

"That's only slightly disturbing." Kula said.

"Now let's see. We'lol have to move up two students from the fifth-place cavalry team so we have enough contestants."

Wait, the fifth place team... does that mean—

"Team Saito! Choose two of your team members to move onto the next round!" Midnight exclaimed, pointing towards the three of them.

"N-No way." Mika said, "I can't believe it, we'll be in the finals! But who should go?"

"You two should go." Kishi said, looking at Kula and Mika, sniffling slightly as he just barely recovered from his sobbing. "I honestly would be scared pantsless if I had to go up against someone from the hero course who knows actual combat... And I don't think anyone wants me to break down crying as I'm supposed to be fighting someone." He placed a hand on the back of his neck and smiled at the two of them.

"Are you sure, Kishi?" Mika asked.

"Oh, I'm totally sure!" Kishi said, beaming at them.

"Thanks, I guess." Kula said, scratching the back of her neck.

"It's no problem-o!"

"It's been decided that Saito and Kajiwara have advanced to the final!" Midnight exclaimed once Kula had informed her which of them would be bumped up into the finals. "Now, take a look at the brackets, my dears! These are your opponents!"

Kula looked up at the screen, scanning for her name and seeing that she was up against somebody named Kaminari Denki, she hadn't heard of him before, so whoever she was facing against was a complete mystery— until a blond haired teen walked up to her.

"You're Saito Kula, correct?" He asked.

"Who's asking?" Kula answered cooly.

"I'm Kaminari, and if you are her, I'll be your opponent during the finals. How about we make a deal beforehand?"

Kula looked at the smug expression on his face. "How about we don't, playboy." She said as she crossed her arms and looked at him with a cold face.

The distraught look on his face was almost enough to make Kula start laughing, almost. As the recreational games were announced, Kula walked off the field, now that she knew she was competing in the finals, she needed to work on some of her gear, if she wanted to win that is. And she wanted to win.