Chapter 17: Wait, the Sports Festival Exists

A Week had passed since Kula started going off at night as GearHead, and she had just recently gotten some publicity. Most of the News Stations had mentioned her at least once or twice, the general public was buzzing with the news of a Vigilante, and the Pro Heroes and cops were shaking and talking with rage, it was easy for Kula to see while walking along the halls of U.A. The teachers weren't always quiet when they talked.

Throughout the week, Kula had secretly worked on making smoke bombs and small weapons that she could easily fit into pockets. Something too heavy would slow her down and she needed to be fast as to not be captured by the cops or heroes that were almost always on her tail.

Walking through the halls alone, Kula kept on thinking about the night before were she managed to beat up a guy with a quirk that allowed him to turn his limps into swords with only getting a single scratch. She had remembered the cops coming up to the alleyway and chasing her for a couple injures before she got up onto a roof and they lost track of her.

Being a Vigilante was exciting.

"I'm so nervous for the Festival next week!" A voice said, and Kula looked up to see a round faced brunette talking to two boys with a look of fear on her face.

"You're going to be fine Uraraka!" The taller of the two boys encouraged, making a chopping motion in the air.

"Yeah, just like Iida said, you're going to do amazing!" The shorter of the two said, a smile of reassurance on his freckled face.

The Festival is next week, right... Kula thought to herself. It was only a week away, but as the days passed, Kula heard more and more about the said Festival. She had a feeling that it might be intense.

***

The day finally arrived, and Kula was sitting in her class' waiting room, watching as her nervous classmates talked with each other.

"I'm so nervous! Are you nervous?" Kishi asked from beside Kula, being the only one in the class apart from Mika that could get close to her. Most likely due to the fact that the three of them were in a group chat and Kula still didn't know how to remove herself— or at least that's what she told them.

"No." Kula said blandly. "Please go away."

"Aw, come on!" Kishi said, "You have to be nervous too!"

"Not really. I mean, it's not like the festival actually means something for us." She shrugged.

"You're not wrong there. Honestly, I wish we didn't have to participate." Mika said with a sigh.

Kula just hummed in agreement as the short conversation the three of them were having breaking off as someone announced that they had only a few minutes until they have to be on the field for opening orientation. Everyone in the room started moving and asking their way to the center field, and Kula let out a small sigh. She just hoped the festival didn't get too out of hand.

"Support Classes F, G, and H!" Present Mic announced as Kula and her class walked out onto the field, the cheers from the roaring crowd surrounding her and making her feel small.

Looking around, she saw that all the classes was now on the field, the Business Course students being announced right after the Support Course.

"Give it up for the first year courses!" Present Mic announced.

"Aw man, this is kinda exciting!" Mika said from beside Kula, a wide Rin on the multi-color haired girl as she placed her bulky gloved hands on her hips.

"Exciting? There's so many people." Kishi squeaked, hiding slightly behind Mika with a terrified expression on his face. "No to mention this is broadcasted live!"

"You'll do great, Ki." Mika said, moving so that she was standing next to the boy and wrapping her arm around his shoulder.

Kishi just nodded— it was strange to see the morally cheerful teen in such a quiet and nervous state, though Kula wasn't able to dwell on that thought for too long, due to the fact that Midnight was now standing at the podium and getting everyone's attention.

"Now for the introductory speech!" She announced.

Kula glanced at the awestruck crowd— well it was mostly the men who were awestruck. Who thought Midnight would be a good option for the first year Umpire? She thought, awkwardly scratching her slightly warm cheek.

"Uh, Someone should talk to Miss Midnight about what she's wearing." A spiky red haired boy, Kirishima, Kula recognized muttered.

"Silence everyone! And for the student pledge, we have Bakugo Katsuki!"

The students surrounding the familiar blond looked shocked, but Kula just stared at him. He, along with Kirishima were in the same area she was in during the USJ attack, and if by any chance he were to see her, she knew for a fact that his explosive anger would be sent down on her. She pulled herself out of her thoughts as she awaited what the blond, Bakugo, was about to say.

"I just wanna say, I'm gonna win." He said.

As the group in the middle front started freaking out, everyone else started booing him. Kula knew that some of the other courses didn't like the hero course, and that speech, or declaration, most likely made them hate it even more.

"Why would you be so disrespectful? You're representing us all!" Iida shouted, making high chopping motions.

"Not my fault the rest of you are just stepping stones to my victory." Bakugo scoffed, giving the crowd of students in front of him a thumbs down.

"I'm gonna crush this overconfident jerk!" A teen with steel eyebrows shouted in anger.

After the angry crows settled down mostly, Midnight continued on. "Without further ado, it's time for us to get started! This is where you begin feeling the pain! The first fateful game fo the Festival." She raised her hand into the air and a screen popped up in midair. The spinner in the middle was a blur as everyone, including Kula, watched with anticipation. Finally it stopped on two words.

"Obstacle Race."

"I can handle an obstacle course." Kula muttered to herself as Midnight explained the rules.

"All the classes with participate in this contest. The course is four kilometers outside of the stadium. I don't want to restrain anyone, at least in this game," Midnight licked her lips, and Kula felt a cold shiver down her spine. "As long as you don't leave the course, you're free to do whatever your heart desires! Now, then, take your places contestants!"

Moving along with the crowd, Kula walked towards the tunnel, swallowing a lump of nerves that was making its way up. This was it, the first round of the Sports Festival.

Kula's only hope was that she didn't die.