Chapter 39: Sorting Things Out

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

My fingers restlessly tap against the table as I glance around the cafe and outside on the streets. The employee had come to my table a few times and asked if I wanted something to drink, but I rejected her offer and said that I would order later when the person I was waiting for arrived. Any minute now, I thought.

I was fifteen minutes early for our meet up, but I guess it's better to be too early than to be too late.

Suddenly, I catch a glimpse of him, wearing the same gray jacket with a white shirt and jeans. He sees me sitting in the cafe and sports a smile. I flash him a tight-lipped smile; but on the inside, I feel a hurricane of emotions, all not good ones, whip around in my stomach.

The bell hung at the top of the door chimes as he enters the cafe and makes his way towards me.

"Hey." He slips into the seat across from me.

"Hi," I say quietly, voice slightly unsteady. The cashier comes to our table to take our order.

"So, how are you feeling?" Max asks, demeanor suddenly changing with a concerned glint in his eyes.

"Much better, thanks." The waiter came back and placed our drinks in front of us. Although I was grateful for his care, it didn't show that well in my response. As if he could sense something was up, a frown curled his lips down and his eyebrows furrowed together.

"What's wrong?" I avert my gaze and take in a deep breath, preparing myself to recite the mini-speech I had come up with in my head, although no amount of preparation made this any easier.

"See, that's why I wanted to meet you in person." Fidgeting with my fingers, I sucked in my lips out of nervousness and brought myself to meet his eyes.

"Okay? What is it?" Worry and confusion coated his voice thickly, which only made it harder to say.

"Before I tell you, I want you to know that I had a really great time last night. The date you planned was perfect and romantic." A somber look slowly took over his features as he sensed where this was heading. Just rip off the band-aid, Sophie.

"But I don't think I can go out on another date with you because...I like someone else...and I don't feel the same way that you do for me," I admit. A wave of emotions took a heavy toll on me as soon as the words spilled out of my mouth, relief and anxiety.

His expression completely changes and I feel like a coward for having to avert my gaze from him. He was such a great person, the guy that I had always imagined would sweep me off of my feet when I was younger, but he wasn't for me.

"It's Andrew, isn't it?" He asks somberly. I slowly nod my head and he exhales defeatedly.

"I'm really sorry if it seemed like I led you on at the dance. I—"

"I get it," he states softly. "I can see it in the way you two look at each other. I've never seen two people drawn to each other so strongly, like they're magnets." He ruffles a hand through his hair as he resumes, "I just...thought that maybe I had a chance with you at the dance, but it's become so much more clear to me now."

"I'm really sorry," I frantically repeat. "You're a really sweet and charismatic person. Any girl would be extremely lucky to have you. I know someday, you'll find her." I sport him a small smile and he does the same.