Chapter 23: "I'm not a miracle worker."

S O P H I E W I L K I N S

As we walk down the hall, Andrew comes up from behind and slings his arm across my shoulder.

"Hey, Shortcake," he says, a friendly grin on his face. Bree quickens her pace and walks a couple feet ahead, giving us some space.

People turn their heads toward us and whisper. I slightly shift under Andrew's arm as everyone watches, growing uncomfortable. I never really liked being the center of attention, but I can't avoid that when the popular quarterback has his arm around your shoulder.

"Hey," I reply, trying to keep calm.

"Do you remember when Mr. Kent called me to his desk that day when you were angry at me?"

"Vaguely, why?"

"Well, I'm having a little trouble in Calculus, so he asked me to ask you if you could tutor me and help me bring my grade up. If I don't, I might have to sit out the next game, which I don't want to do."

"What's your grade now and what does it need to be?" I ask, shimming out of his hold and standing in front of him.

"Well, I'm getting a C- right now, and I need to bring it up to at least an A-. Mr. Kent said that if I get an A on the next two tests, it should bring my grade up to a ninety."

"Woah, you'll be cutting it close," I reply, eyebrows slightly raised.

"Yeah, can you start helping me after school?" He smiles.

"I'm not a miracle worker, but I'll see what I can do," I laugh. "Let's start at 3 in the library?"

He nods and I turn to catch up to Bree. As I walk through the halls and into class, it seems like everything's gone back to normal after the incident.

When I make eye contact with someone, they give me a smile and act as if I'm not there when people around me are having conversations. Even Aria's gone back to her normal self, her constant scowl and evil glares shot at me. Of course, I always brush it off my shoulder and smile back at her, which makes her fists clench.

***********

Throughout the course of the day, Bree disappeared on me and I was left alone. Usually during break, we'd sit in our next class and chat about the latest gossip. But today when we were talking, her phone chimed and she immediately dashed off when she saw who it was.

I tried to follow her, but she'd tell me to leave her alone. Even during lunch, I sat at our normal spot where we usually ate, but she wasn't there.

I texted her and asked about her whereabouts, and she told me that she was stuck in one of her classes for the entire lunch period, leaving me to eat lunch by myself. Just dandy.

Something fishy was definitely going on, but this time, I had absolutely no hunch on what it was. Bree was acting weird and distant, as if I did something wrong. As soon as the last bell rang, she bolted out of the locker room like the flash and never looked back.

As I walk to the library, anxiety starts to twist knots in my stomach. Did I do something to Bree? Is she mad at me? What for?