Chapter 1: Saturday Night's Party

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

Ping!

I sit up and reach for my glasses, snatching up my phone from the nightstand beside my bed. The incoming text is from my best and only friend, Bree.

Heyy! There's a party going on tonight at Jacob's house. Everyone at school will be there since it's the last party of the summer!

I'll be over in five.

Ugh, do I really have to go?

Yes! You are NOT staying home on a Saturday night, Sophie!

I place my phone back on the nightstand and flop backwards. I stare up at the ceiling as I think about the awful party I'd be going to tonight. Just thinking about it makes me want to crawl back under the covers and never come out.

I love Bree and all, but we're complete opposites. Bree loves to go out and have fun at parties. Meanwhile, I'd much rather prefer to stay in bed all day and binge watch my favorite Netflix shows.

A few minutes later, the doorbell rings and I rush downstairs. I look through the little peephole before opening the door. Bree is carrying two black duffel bags, one in each hand. She has mesmerizing dark brown eyes that pairs well with her wavy chocolate hair that fades into a dirty blonde at the ends. She's wearing a white crop top, showing off her toned tummy, and light blue jeans with it.

The doorbell also woke my mom up as she glances down at us from the second level of the house

The doorbell also woke my mom up as she glances down at us from the second level of the house. Seeing that it's only Bree, she heads back to bed. Bree immediately shows herself in and sprints up to my room, dropping the two bags onto the wooden floor.

Bree and I are extremely close; we're practically joined at the hip. We met in fourth grade when she moved to Los Angeles from Brooklyn. It was lunchtime and she noticed how everyone met up with their friends while I sat by myself in a corner of the cafeteria. She came over to my table and sat down next to me. We started talking and from then on, we've been best friends since.

"What are you wearing?" Bree asks, pointing at my messy hair then towards my oversized blue shirt and gray sweatpants.

"What do you mean?" I reply, still half-asleep.

"Why do you look like you just woke up?"

"Because I did just wake up, Bree. It's 11 AM on a Saturday," I agitatedly reply, rubbing my drowsy eyes.

"So?"

I huff and roll my eyes. How is she up so early on a Saturday with this much energy already? Some may think that sleeping until 11 AM is too late, but not in my book.

"Why did you bring two huge duffel bags? We're only going to a party that's twenty minutes away, not to Disneyland for a week!"

"Don't be silly, Soph," she replies with a soft chuckle. "In here, I have our outfits," she explains, lifting up the bag on her left, "and in here, I have everything else we need," pointing to the other bag on the ground. "So let's get started! The party starts at 7. We don't want to be late!"